• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

54 XM-211 Reverse Only

SneakerZed

I have a 54 XM-211 that will only go into reverse. I have to work it to even go into a forward gear, then once in a forward gear, it will move a foot or so every 5 minutes. Reverse works great period. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this and what, if any, was the solution. I have not had the time to really troubleshoot the issue and I am not a mechanic, but if i have somewhere to start it would be great. When I bought the truck it fired right up and headed on down the road for a few miles then simply stopped running. I replaced the distributor, adjusted it and she fires right up. Thank you

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you put it into forward, what exactly is happening? Does the engine rev up freely or is it stalled? If the engine revs and eventually it moves, sounds like the front band is way out of adjustment. You REALLY need the manual to work on this, but in a nutshell, above the valve body cover is a stud with a nut, and next to it is a pipe plug. Remove the plug, there will be a pin that protrudes. Adjust the stud with the nut until the pin is flush with the surface of the trans case. Now your band is in adjustment. If you can't get the pin flush, the front band is toast.

USMC 00-08

Definitely get TM 9-8024. It will help you a lot. Also NDT is right on as well.

Looking in my manual under the transmission troubleshooting, it shows the following as possible causes of your problem:

1. Rear Band
2. Transmission Shift Lever
3. Manual Linkage
4. Rear Servo
5. Transmission Control Valve

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! I'm trying to understand exactly what happened.
You were driving on the road and the engine stopped?
Did you tow it or replace the distributor right there and now it won't go forward?

How is your fluid level?
Start the engine and let it idle. Place in F-1 HIGH RANGE and run for 3-5 minutes. check fluid. should be at "cold" full mark.

Is it a M211 distributor that takes the waterproof wires and original steel vacuum lines or something else?

Transfer case shifts the Sprague in reverse and forward right? Does the engine freewheel in forward or work like it is binding?

Transfer case lever stays engaged when in forward gears? the lever is by your right heal.
Did you tow it with the transfer case in gear or neutral?

I'm going to do some research...

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I had a manual for the transmission. I remember seeing one, maybe online??? Any one have one? how many pages is it?

flatheadvff

I purchased a m211 that the trans. was exploded, not from action but from being shifted into reverse while being driven down the road. When I purchased the truck I also received a parts truck with an intact trans. Went through the work of swapping trans from one truck to the other so that I could drive it 5 miles and it quit pulling. I had pulled the trans. with the intention of rebuilding, I feel it will be simple replacement of all rubber seals, but never got around to it. Instead I came across another truck that I purchased for parts and ended up getting it running instead. Don't mean to highjack your thread, mainly trying to learn how to post with pictures. If this works I will have a picture of part of130216_007.jpg my line-up.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're taking the time to post pics so we can see your Early Deuce, there are a couple of dedicated threads you can add to if you like.

Starting a 'Build Thread" is a lot of work so sharing sassy photo's and data on your Early rigs can be stored and saved on the two threads below. Jumping on to an existing transmission thread and sharing your stories of transmission swap challenges always helps those that are doing the same thing. Appreciate the pictures and it leaves us wanting more.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?58040-The-unofficial-g749-picture-thread!!!!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?134364-G749-VIN-amp-Military-Registration-Database

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks