• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

55 gal fuel storage drum preparation?

Falstaff

I acquired two 55 gal drums that contained the hydraulic fluid for an elevator that was just installed. Other than rinsing it out, is there anything else I should do prior to filling them with diesel for long term back up generator storage?

reset2

I acquired two 55 gal drums that contained the hydraulic fluid for an elevator that was just installed. Other than rinsing it out, is there anything else I should do prior to filling them with diesel for long term back up generator storage?
Long term? If couple years there is some anti bio conditioner that can be added. Every so often suck any water off the bottom. It will last almost forever.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the fluid in it was clean before (not waste oil) you don't even need to rinse them (provided you aren't running it through an engine with a diesel particulate filter) the oil will mix into the diesel and run through an engine with no issues.
As reset2 said, add some diesel biocide, maybe some storage additive like Startron for diesel, then just keep the barrels tightly closed and out of the sun until needed. Come back once a year and check for quality, recommended you use it within 2 years of purchase as it eventually will go bad. If the barrel has a pump installed to recover the fuel, use it within a couple months to be on the safe side.

(the 2 years is just a recommendation, I've started engines that sat for over 10 years with diesel in them and they fired up and ran just fine on the fuel in the tank)

also, make sure you buy straight diesel and not biodiesel. Biodiesel breaks down faster, attracts more water, and just generally doesn't store very well. Most likely what's available is going to be something around B2 or B5 as most states aren't required to label diesel under a certain percent of biodiesel mix, that's why I recommended rotating your storage stock every few years even if it's treated.

Last edited:

Welder1

Be sure to fill the drums up completely. Any air space will allow moisture in the air to rust the inside over time. The best drums to use are former gasoline drums because they are coated on the inside to prevent rust. I also put some water beads in a piece of stocking placed in the drum to absorb any water that may get into the drum.

Ray70

Are you storing indoors or outdoors? If outdoors, keep covered so rain water doesn't sit on top of them. also, keep up off the ground a little if outdoors to prevent ground contact from rusting the bottom. Lastly, get ready to listen to them banging twice a day if you live where the temp changes at night. The top will "pop" or "oil can" up and down twice a day as the temp rises and falls and the fuel / air expands and contracts.

csheath

I've had mine in use for 3 years now. They came with some motor oil in them and I just drained the excess oil and filled with diesel. No rinsing necessary.

Mine are stored outside under a shed. I screwed some air compressor mufflers in the 3/4" NPT hole to keep them vented. The mufflers have filters in them to prevent dirt from entering. Bought them off eBay. You will hear pros and cons to this approach. Mine are in N. FL where it is very humid and so far I have had zero issues with water or condensation. I do go through about 300 gallons a year with my tractors, outages, and such so my fuel is rotated. The reason I chose to keep them vented is I've seen photos of unvented drums that either collapsed or swollen up due to temperature changes or pumps sucking them in.

I add the specified amounts of Stanadyne lubricity formula and Killum biocide at each fill.

I set my pickup pipe so when the pump starts sucking air I have 5 gallons left in the bottom. When the tank is otherwise empty I put a 2x4 under the vented side so I can stick a small pump tube in the fill hole and get the last 5 gallons out. When I do that I start by pumping the first few ounces into a clear jar to check for any water. Haven't had a drop of water show up yet.

20170411_125616_resized.jpg

vent-filter.jpg

PU-tube2.jpg

Falstaff

Thanks for the tips gentlemen, i will likely be using some of the fuel in a Ram truck with DPF equipped engine so I think ai’ll try to rinse out as much hydraulic as I can. I am surprised to hear that I don’t need to line the drums with an epoxy paint or anything. I have an mmg. 25 USMC genset that had the tank full of dirt, nails, gravel and debris (sabotage by other bidders when Gov liquidation was running things) Anyway, i dropped the tank and had it cleaned and, after a convincing sales pitch, lined with a “lifetime” warranty epoxy product at radiator/fuel tank shop , i was thinking about buying a DIY tank lining product doing myself but maybe not necessary. BTW, i was able to transport both barrels in the back of my prius, they had been set aside for me until i brought my truck to the site, but the Super was getting ready to toss them so ifigured i better at least get one. Aftergetting the first one in , sure enough iwas able to fit the second! The guys on the jobsite thought that was funny.

Attachments

Last edited:

Falstaff

Are you storing indoors or outdoors? If outdoors, keep covered so rain water doesn't sit on top of them. also, keep up off the ground a little if outdoors to prevent ground contact from rusting the bottom. Lastly, get ready to listen to them banging twice a day if you live where the temp changes at night. The top will "pop" or "oil can" up and down twice a day as the temp rises and falls and the fuel / air expands and contracts.
On my drive back home with the barrels they popped, startled me..

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tips gentlemen, i will likely be using some of the fuel in a Ram truck with DPF equipped engine so I think ai’ll try to rinse out as much hydraulic as I can. I am surprised to hear that I don’t need to line the drums with an epoxy paint or anything. I have an mmg. 25 USMC genset that had the tank full of dirt, nails, gravel and debris (sabotage by other bidders when Gov liquidation was running things) Anyway, i dropped the tank and had it cleaned and, after a convincing sales pitch, lined with a “lifetime” warranty epoxy product at radiator/fuel tank shop , i was thinking about buying a DIY tank lining product doing myself but maybe not necessary. BTW, i was able to transport both barrels in the back of my prius, they had been set aside for me until i brought my truck to the site, but the Super was getting ready to toss them so ifigured i better at least get one. Aftergetting the first one in , sure enough iwas able to fit the second! The guys on the jobsite thought that was funny.
If it held oil, there shouldn't be any concern for it holding fuel. Diesel is just another type of oil for the most part.

Adding an epoxy lining is mostly if the tank has existing damage or if you are going to put something inside of it that is corrosive or oxidizing. Diesel is neither of those, and as it'sjust a refined oil, it will keep the metal from rusting (provided you don't let moisture sit inside of it)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks