• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

57 int m52 wat to look for?

terran698

there has recently been a 1957 international m52 gas tractor w/about 500hours show up in my area for sale for $2800 (is this a good price?), and was wondering if there is any thing to look out for when buying one as the one im looking at has visible surface rust around the pintle hitch and that looks to be the only signifigant source of rust on it. the spring packs and everything else look to be mostly rust free (nothing bigger than 1 square inch) and the top is in good shape and the tires arent weather cracked.

if there is anything else to look out for i would greatly appreciate it if u would tell me as im very interested in buying it i just dont know what goes bad on that type of vehicle or where the problem areas are

terran698

hereyago

here is a picture i took on my phone, when i get time i will snap some more with a camera.

turns out it also has a tear in the top(nothing a little duck tape cant fix) and the driverside axle boot is torn (would probably need replaced), how hard are they to change?

Attachments

M813A1

Axle boots are not to difficult just messy to change !! You can pickup one for around $35.00 on line on ebay or any other part place

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for leaking wheel cylinders and bad rubber in the torque rod ends. Both are fixable with some work. Truck looks really good for it's age. Price is reasonable. Gets about 2-3 mpg but don't let that stop you . . .

terran698

more questions

i have decided that i will buy this vehicle come January/February (when i can take out a student loan).

i would like to get rid of the gas motor and put a diesel in there just so it gets better than 2-4mpg(not that important to me) and more top speed, 60 flat ground and no less than 40 in the hills, so my question is what would a good candidate be for an engine swap: DT466, DT530, 5.9L, 8.3L, 11L Cummins, 12.5L Detroit diesel, 12V71 Detroit diesel, 7.2L or bigger cat?

the usage of this vehicle would be haul a little lumber on occasion (wood stove), off-road unsticker (don't have one in my town), hauling furniture when myself or my family moves, running off-road through as much mud as i can find, and lastly as an exhibition puller (not a serious puller) at the local 4-h fair, as well as parades.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks