• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5n ton non air brake question

i have a 1977 juice brake 5 ton that when i pump the brakes a few times the shoes wont release on both back axles unless i open one bleeder screw on one wheel to release fluid pressure, i have replaced the back hoses and by passed the mirco lock solenoid, its as if master cylinder will apply but wont let fluid return. any thoughts before i bite the bullet for a MC?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your return port on your MC. You may have trash in the line.

I've had this issue on motorcycle brakes and clutches and 9 times out of ten, it was old fluid that had gummed up the return port. I would use a bristle from a wire brush to punch it out and they would work fine from there.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
i have a 1977 juice brake 5 ton that when i pump the brakes a few times the shoes wont release on both back axles unless i open one bleeder screw on one wheel to release fluid pressure, i have replaced the back hoses and by passed the mirco lock solenoid, its as if master cylinder will apply but wont let fluid return. any thoughts before i bite the bullet for a MC?
I agree with @kendelrio . Crud in the brake lines will often cause the problem that you described. The brake booster is next if your brake fluid comes out clean and clear. Opening the bleeder screw at the brake booster could free up the shoes too. The rubber hoses will collapse from the inside as well - but your post mentions you have already done that...

I would recommend a thorough flushing to clear everything up before you throw any more parts at it.
I would recommend a thorough flushing to clear everything up before you throw any more parts at it.
i flushed the system and still doing the same thing, i'm thinking master cylinder or air pack they are both orig as far as i can tell

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be the push rod going into the MC might be adjusted too long.

That in turn won't let the piston return, and keeps pressure in the lines.

You can do a simple test: wiggle the rubber boot and see if there is a bit of free play in the rod. It only needs about 1/16" to be OK.

162tcat

Try cracking the bleed port on the master cylinder when it’s locked up. If this has residual pressure, that’s your issue. Mine did this and no amount of flushing, bleeding or adjusting fixed it. Replaced the MC and it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try cracking the bleed port on the master cylinder when it’s locked up. If this has residual pressure, that’s your issue. Mine did this and no amount of flushing, bleeding or adjusting fixed it. Replaced the MC and it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info, Have a M/C on the way

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks