• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5T differential housings: cast or forged?

WRMorrison

I've got a friend who build a mud truck out of a Dodge diesel and put 5T axles under it. He and others have welded recovery points (loops) to the differential housings. I was under the impression that these were cast, but he doesn't think so.

Anybody know for sure?

-WRM

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's right. The Timken Detroit axles in the WWII heavies were cast, but by the 1950's, forged/welded was the preferred method for Timken Detroit and later on Rockwell.

WRMorrison

Shouldn't recovery mounts be on the frame, not the drivetrain?
He (and others) have them mounted in both locations, front and rear. The logic is that when it's buried deep in the mud, it's better to extract low (where all the unsprung weight is at) to keep from ripping the body/frame off the suspension.

-WRM

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Its better to pick up on the truck than to pull off the drivetrain. It doesnt take much to snatch the leaf springs and everything out from under a stuck truck. He only needs hold down points on the axles for strapping it to a trailer makes it more handy.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks