• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5t xcase

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
well it seems that my xcase went in the crap-per coming back from the ga rally, it had been making a bit of noise every now and then( never saw any metal when checking the oil), at the rally it would not go into low(still wont), coming back, started to make one he-ll of a racket with the shift leaver jumping all over the place, never jumped out of gear, though i thought it would, got into gainesville, the noise stopped and the shift lever was as smooth as it used to be.

any thought on this????, anybody have a GOOD 5t xcase, if so how much???, if i rebuild it ,ill have to put new bearing, ect. because of the metal I'm sure ill find in everything. a good used one may be cheaper in the long run

know matter what it has to come out@#$%^&**&*^$

Towerguy1

transfer case

I believe I have one if needed. Got one with some other stuff from GL and don't need it. PM me if interested, I'll sell it reasonable.

m139h2otruck

Interested in how you will be removing the transfer case from your truck. Have to do this to our tractor (won't engage high gear) and will be taking the case out of the spare truck (see other thread).

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i plan to pull the floor panel and one way or another, lower it down with come-a-longs, use small snatch blocks to change cable direction if need be, make a lift fixture to bolt to where the xcase splits

m139h2otruck

On the tractor, I don't think I can get the case out from under the truck without tipping the case over on its side or lifting the truck rear end up and rolling the case out. Have to take more measurements.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if i can get it down without killing myself, ill get out from under some way, trans was a peice of cake, i think getting it down will be the BIG hassle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know deuce transfers are only 700# or so but I use an engine crane through the passenger door and drop them on a piece of heavy plywood then drag the plywood out with the 4 wheeler. Reverse for install.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would guess a 5t xcase weights about 1000#, i plan to ues a pipe through the back window and the front like i did for the trans, if that does not work then on to plan b, c, d, ect

5tonjeepman

Hi...73m819 :)) I agree totally, LONG LIVE BIG GREEN IRON. :_))))

On this xcase fiasco you have, in the NG we used a wrecker for one case removal which went slicker than anything, had it out in minutes.. The second time we didn't have the wrecker so we used a tranny jack rated for 500# and it worked slick.. There are options alot safer than chains, wood and pipes...
I recommend using a wrecker and sliding the hook between the bed and cab and easing it down that way.
You need 2-people and a spotter.. The case doesn't weigh over 500#, not unless it's a 10-ton truck..

5tonjeepman

5tonjeepman said:
Hi...73m819 :)) I agree totally, LONG LIVE BIG GREEN IRON. :_))))

On this xcase fiasco you have, in the NG we used a wrecker for one case removal which went slicker than anything, had it out in minutes.. The second time we didn't have the wrecker and used a 500# tranny jack which worked slick as well..Oh, one thing I forgot to mention.. When you get the transfer out you hook-up a link-shaft from the transmission to the rear-end and you can drive the truck instead of moving the transfer.. Don't move it very far but you can move it just to access the case.. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks