• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th gear? In a deuce?

lawdog1623

i love the cherry picker pic. I never really thought of that. Be sure to take plenty of pics of this overhaul and be sure to post them so we can refer to it. Thanks brother

Cleptomaniac

I have a Ruger Towable Crane (overkill) but I think it will do the job. I'll take pics and post them. Thanks for the advice!

Hope to get started tomorrow night. We will see how long it takes.

Seth_O

I used a four by four through the windshield and back window. I also used a chain hoist. I did use a chain to mount the hoist to the 4x4. I ran the chain through a five inch pipe and had the pipe on top of the 4X4. This allowed the chain to slide back and forth across the 4X4.
I did this exact same thing - it didn't slide great but it did slide front-to-back. An additional set of hands helped tremendously, but I ultimately did it by myself.

I also strongly recommend a clutch alignment tool. I spent ~3hrs futzing around with it trying to get the tranny aligned (including using a wooden dowel, lots of patience, etc) with no luck. Once I had the tool it took me about 15 mins to get the tranny back in. $20 well spent.

Cleptomaniac

Ok we convoyed over to the shop and got started. I decided to take out both seats. It will make it easy for me to put in the proper u bolts in the M66. And got the tranny tunnel off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340075619.097344.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340075647.034412.jpg

Cleptomaniac

Well a good 5+ hours and we still haven't gotten it done!!
Had to swap the PTO and all that mess!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340170785.662118.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340170813.750222.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340170831.213146.jpgI know it would have been better to go from the passenger side but their was not enough room!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340170849.897078.jpg

Also where can I get the NOS parts to rebuild my tranny?
Thanks

Cleptomaniac

Well didn't take any more pics of the install :-( just wanted to get it done!! But it is in and I drove it around in front of the shop. Think I'm going to pick it up and drive it to work in the morning. Hope it all goes well. While I had the tranny tunnel apart I figured it would b a good time for some sound deadner. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340258274.760150.jpg
Put it on the bottom side. Hope it helps!

tuckered

Great post!

If I was doing that project, it would probably end up looking something like an episode of "Married with children" with the characters 'Al Bundy' and 'Jefferson' trying to resurrect the old dodge.

Curious, would it have been possible to use a floor jack instead of a cherry picker?

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Curious, would it have been possible to use a floor jack instead of a cherry picker?
Voice of experience says: I would not want to try a deuce tranny with a floor jack. 99% of the time, it would fall off the jack and that's assuming you had a jack tall enough.

The engine hoist or the factory GI hoist work much better and allow the safety of working above, vs. below the tranny.

Cleptomaniac

Well all that work putting in a "new" tranny. Now this one is making noise!!! More like a thumping noise :( I'll have to tear in to it again...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well all that work putting in a "new" tranny. Now this one is making noise!!! More like a thumping noise :( I'll have to tear in to it again...
Ehhmm..., after your post, earlier on...?
I'm not game for tearing in to a tranny!!
I suppose that you did (visually, at least) inspect that take-out $300 transmission inside, before starting the swap...?

G.

seabeeut

just a thought but before you get into the new tranny how is your parking brake?
I was ready to change out my tranny for what sounded like a bad 5th or bearing.
When I was under the truck I inspected the brake (Note the brake held the truck and stopped it well) I found the brake not moving right and out of adjustment pulled it apart inner shoe would not pivot rebuilt the brake with new springs and readjusted and the noise and 5th gear drag is gone.
Just a thought

Cleptomaniac

I did visually inspect the inside of the tranny. It looked ok. The one I pulled out had shavings all over in it. The "new" one I had to put the pto on so I decided to look around in side it.

I'll check out the e-brake. Thanks for the idea!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks