• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th gear lockin solenoid on Allison trans ?

corvette9

Anybody know what the 5th gear lockin solinoid dose? I found it in the TM but it dose not tell me what it dose. It seems to have a power and ground wire and what I think are air lines. In one side out the other. Still trying to find out why my M936A2 will not shift manual.

corvette9

No it won't down shift or up shift by moving the shifter. I can put the shifter in 1st gear and it will shift as if it was in 1-5. You can move the shifter to any gear and no change of any gear at any speed. I took the shifter tower cover off and all seems fine. I had someone move the shifter with me under the truck and the lever on the trans is moving it's full range. But R and N work as they should.

rangereter

The solenoid puts the xmsn in 5th gear/TC lock-up @1300 rpm +/- and prevents trans slippage (when pto is engaged). In this condition the pto will spin @ proper rpm for the main hyd. pump to have required flow (gpm).
Regards, Bob

SouthwindFarmer

Hey corvette9
I'm having the same problem with my M931. Where you able to diagnose and repair? Allison transmission shifts fine automatically but doesn't respond to changing gear manually. Thanks