• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5TH Gear Missing Teeth, Looking For A New Transmission

misterbill64

Was driving the truck the other day and it started to sound like a box of rocks in 5th gear on deceleration, every other gear was fine. Pulled the top of the transmission today and at least 5 teeth gone on cluster. I buttoned it back up , now I guess I am looking for a replacement transmission. After reading some of the posts this seams like a common thing but I did not see where any one found a definite cause for this and wondered what’s up .I would hate to get another transmission and go down this road again so any one got any ideas?

P.S. Anyway anyone know where to get a good used transmission??

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
this is not a common problem given the number of trucks out there. you may be able to repair your trans for twice the cost of a replacement, parts are pretty cheap if most of it is o.

misterbill64

Well I know it needs 5th drive and driven gears, synchronizer didnt look the best, 2-3 shift fork looked worn a good bit and thats with out a teardown. I havent priced parts yet but your od kit sure looks good, that would get me most of the parts. just not sure which way to go yet.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have complete NEW transmissions with kit installed, but they cost a bit more. $3300. kit ends up being $1304, new syncros are $150, complete brng sets are $160. you could probably get what you need, brngs, 1 syncro and both 5th gears, gasket set, for $450. just have to tear it down and see. if on the other hand you want to do the OD kit, call me.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, admittedly that is not the best price around, but these are name brand and also 11 ball rather than the lesser count found in many, also with shield. i also have the rollers for the front of the MS .125" longer than stock for $28 more.

5th gear on the counter shaft is a removable gear as is the 5th on the main shaft, both are cheap gears, $150 for a good used set.

Last edited:

misterbill64

Thought I would give an update, after teardown it lookslike It needed fifth gear drive and driven gears, 4th&5th gearsynchronizer, all bearings. If you look in the photos ( new parts photos alsoincluded, bad parts circled in red ) the damage started with the synchronizer,the teeth that mesh with the gear are worn half off and the gear side is wornlike a motorcycle sprocket ( or a breaking wave ) which I’m sure let a piece ofmetal drop between fifth gear which caused the gear to break. I tried to disassemblethe shafts with a three jaw puller but that wasn’t happening so I bought apress from china freight that made it easy.
1 synchronizer1.jpg7 New Fifth Gear Drive.jpg8 New Fifth Gear Driven.jpg9 Back together good as new.jpg2 synchronizer2.jpg3 synchronizer3.jpg4 drive gear 2.jpg5 broken gear.jpg6 New Synchronizer.jpg

ptg530C

Poor hardening of the gear itself. By the way, how much did the parts cost? Last time I replaced a trans it cost me $250.00 for a replacement and about 4 hours to replace it. You do realize that these are car transmissions that they made millions of, don't you?

misterbill64

I have $410.00 in with oil , I looked for a used unit and the cheapest one I found at the time was $500.00 , since then I have seen a couple around $300.00 But you can't tell what your getting with a used one and at least now I have had my hands on every gear and know exactly how well its put together. By the way I am wondering what cars used these transmissions?

shenkmen

Poor hardening of the gear itself. By the way, how much did the parts cost? Last time I replaced a trans it cost me $250.00 for a replacement and about 4 hours to replace it. You do realize that these are car transmissions that they made millions of, don't you?
I'm curious too. Which car(s) did they come in?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks