• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th gear noise. I am guessing this is not suppose to move.

CMXterra

In the last hours of a 768 mile trip I started to hear a chattering noise from 5th gear when coasting.

After getting her home I pulled the top of the transmission and found this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Rse5s4HcM&feature=share&list=UUpvkOGOMwWOSMgd60sKHWKQ

I am guessing that the gear is not suppose to move like that. Also guessing that the chattering you hear at the end of the video is what I was hearing while coasting.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

CMXterra

ok..

A little more info.

Yes it is suppose to move like that (duh moment after I looked at it more closely)

With the clutch in I can rotate the bottom shafts in both 4th and 5th and I do not see any missing teeth. The noise I heard sounding something like what is in the video but only presented itself while in 5th gear and coasting (no throttle). If it was there under throttle I did not hear it.

It does not make the noise in any other gear while coasting.

I am going to check to make sure all the bolts are tight on the output shaft as well as the drive shaft between the rear axles. Also going to see if there is any wiggle on any of the ujoints.

Any other suggestions?

nosajb15af

Thats your 1st/reverse sliding gear. the movement is correct. I cant hear the chatter, im on my work computer with no speakers. But from just looking, your selector gear is rubbing your reverse when you spun it. Make sure its centered and clears properly when in N. Your shifter should has adjustments.

CMXterra

Just got off phone with them. $75 used, $135 new. In stock ---- Sam Wiener
Is there a particular name to that shaft? Don't want to call them and ask for the dohicky shaft that works in the thing-a-magig.

Edit to add:

Just called them and they are looking it up. I figure for those prices I can rebuild that one and have a spare transmission.

Last edited:

nosajb15af

I just wrapped up work early to head down there and get mine. (20 minute trip) If you are buying a used one let me know and ill look at it before you buy and let you know if its good. --- no reason thats its bad..but you never know.

nosajb15af

that is a seperate gear on the counter shaft. but you will need more, all that metal in the bearings to start with.
Yeah, Wiener told me they dont separate the gears from the shaft...its a all in one buy. You think the gear chunks made it to the bearings? I would figure they would have just fell and settled to the bottom like mine. As a precaution i still pulled the bearings and cleaned them, but they were in good shape.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Yeah, Wiener told me they dont separate the gears from the shaft...its a all in one buy. You think the gear chunks made it to the bearings? I would figure they would have just fell and settled to the bottom like mine. As a precaution i still pulled the bearings and cleaned them, but they were in good shape.
I assume you mean on a used shaft. with all that metal running around in the oil, I doubt the bearings were in usable shape, but you will be the first to know!

nosajb15af

I can see your point of there was shavings. But mine were chunks, and sank. Bearings cleaned and checked good..smooth roll, no play, ect...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks