• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th wheel single axle deuce

Colonel Smash

I have a Deuce that I plan to bob. I would like for it to have sort of a rock crawler look and capability. I have no need for a 12 foot bed and I got to thinking, maybe I don't need a bed at all.

If I were to install a 5th wheel on a single axle deuce it would be much lighter than a bed, and I'd still be able to use the truck for utility purposes.

I'm not planning on hauling a semi trailer, but maybe a goose-neck flat bed with a car on it.

Has anyone ever tried this or thought about it?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a 40k gooseneck plate mounted on the back of my 5 ton. it depends on what you need. Dont see why it would be an issue. The 5th plates dont weigh much. It would be just like a regular pickup. Mine sits just infront of the rear axle not so far forward as a 5th plate would be.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well the big thing will be getting all the air lines setup for a semi trailer. and also not getting a trailer that is to heavy for a bobbed deuce. I dont think it would take much to push it around going down hills or thru curves.

dilligaf13

I think if you're looking to bob a truck and still haul stuff you'll want to go with a 5 ton. Most bobbed deuces max load is about 4,000 lbs unless you use 5 ton springs and then the next issue becomes braking. 2cents

Last edited:

Colonel Smash

aggo, I thought about doing a flat bed. But going back to my original plan, if I were to purchase a 105 trailer I could haul anything I need in there.

dilli, braking may be an issue with big trailers, but I will keep the trailers relatively small until I do some up grades. I think I may extend the wheel base a bit on the single axle to keep the truck stable on the hills.

Thanks for the info!

Colonel Smash

aggo, I thought about doing a flat bed. But going back to my original plan, if I were to purchase a 105 trailer I could haul anything I need in there.

dilli, braking may be an issue with big trailers, but I will keep the trailers relatively small until I do some up grades. I think I may extend the wheel base a bit on the single axle to keep the truck stable on the hills.

Thanks for the info!

quickfarms

The air brakes for the trailer are not an issue because the truck is already set up for an air braked trailer, but I would add the trolley valve.

The issue would be the suspension used for the bob and the brakes themselves. For the suspension you could us the springs and hangers off of a civilian two axle truck. You are reducing the brakes by a third and the brakes on the duece are tiny compared to my class 8 truck so heat will be a big issue even if you have enough stopping power.

For the intended use as a rock crawler there would not be an issue but the rear will be light and it could be very easy to lock up the rear brakes or spin out. Driving a semi tractor without a trailer can be an experience in bad weather. If you want to use this to haul an rv it would probably work but not As a work truck

Colonel Smash

It's going to be an off road truck primarily and only used for pulling things no bigger than you would pull with a 3/4 ton pick up. One thing I know I will need is a 12 volt electric brake controller and also wiring for the lights.

quickfarms

Nice wiring diagram but that would put a lot of additional load on the first battery and cause the batteries to be unbalanced and either under charged or over charged. You are better off with a power converter, 24 to 12 volt, or to add a separate 12 volt alternator and battery.

You could build a light weight flatbed out of aluminum or steel with a plywood deck and use a rv 5th wheel plate. Another option would be to just use the plastic semi truck fenders to cover the tires and diamond plate between the frame rails.

Last edited:

Colonel Smash

I'd like to ask another question about my off-road/tow vehicle, has anyone ever bobbed a deuce using semi truck single-axle air bag rear suspension. Obviously it works well for towing, but would that setup limit me off road? Flex, durability, etc..

I appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks