• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th wheel spacer

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change 1, revision 2,3,4,5... okay, the tan 5th wheel is missing some parts. It appears to be repairable. I was looking at buying the parts when another avenue opened. The 5th wheel on the M931 will fit on a M52. However, some prep work must be applied. Since I had the M818 tractor adapter plates, I kept them for the install. The M931 5th wheel had its adapter plates still attached so I incorporated both sets to get this 5th wheel installed. I bolted the 818 plates to the 931 platesthen set the whole thing on the truck. Fit just like a champ!! One thing I will have to obtain is the “rails” that bolt to the truck frame and which are bolted to the 5th wheel. I’m not sure what’s available but something will turn up. Anywho, attached are pics of the installed M931 5th wheel sitting on a M52A2.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s been a while since I got anything done on truck. Some things have progressed. I got a set of frame rails for the 5th wheel. Going to end up drilling some holes to make it fit. Also pick up a new head for the spare tire hoist. I had one that came with the 900 series parts I got but the original was goobered up with rust. It took two strong backs and an extra monkey (wrench) to get it apart. After clearing out all the rust, dirt and multiple layers of paint, the tube was too narrow for proper use. At the same time I got the rails, I also picked up a more serviceable hoist head. This morning I got the rails out to see what I needed to do to/with them. I’ll have to clean up some surface rust before installing them. Shouldn’t be too bad to clean them up. I then set them in place with my son on one end and I on the other. I found out the M52A2 has some inconvenient rivet heads in the way. I can’t touch the rivets, they’re keeping the frame together. I’ll have to either drill holes for them in the rails... well, I think that’s my only option. Had to stop because of the sun. With our altitude, 6100 feet, working outside causes some nasty sunburns after 1000 hrs till around 1600 hrs.
Hopefully I’ll get more done tomorrow. I’ll also post some pics tomorrow as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks