• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th wheel wrecker

TacticalTruck

As per Bjorn's good advice I started a new thread on the 5th wheel wrecker boom.

Mark, here are pictures of the pieces that clamp to the pipe stock resting on the ramps which limit side to side travel. The other picture shows a block which, i think, is designed to limit the swing fore and aft. i also have some questions as to how, exactly, the bar hooks up including the piece of angle pictured with the clamps. It has a 24 volt pump which is powered thru a slave cable from the tractor.
jeff

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That looks real handy! Have you seen very many of those around. That would be a great way to make a tractor pay for itself!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I asked this before with no response, how do you figure out who's photo album is who's?
I don't think at this time there is a way...........I remember discussing this at one point as well.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We called those units "Holmes kits" since they were made by the Holmes Wrecker Company.
The trans unit next to my old unit had a bunch of them since they had M915's and one big wrecker wasn't enought to keep up when they had a lot of trucks on the road.
I'm surprised there haven't been more of them on GL.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 designs of these. I have the TM on the later one. This FWTD is made by Holmes. As jeff discussed, its powered off the slave receptacle. The chains and boomers attach the front of the unit to the tractor to keep it from lifting on the 5th plate. I'm not sure what all the adapters are but I know it can be attached to the front lifting ring mounts. The towbar itself swivels to negotiate turns. I've been interested in these for a while but my little tractor wouldn't be big enough to tow much more than a CUCV.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is salvage yard in Rogers Arkansas that uses these a lot, he had several of the civi models, next time I am there I will ask about a price if he is willing to sell. We have several large trucking firms here in Springdale, you see truck being hauled by this method pretty often.
James G.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thanks for the additional pictures and explanation. I can see how those little clamp pieces would work, and tying down the front end with the chains makes sense, too. I'm looking forward to some more pictures once you figure out how it all works and lift something with it! :)

TacticalTruck

I looked at the faded data plate and it was made in 1995 and it appears to say "Lift and Go" across the top. Goggle was no joy for the phrase. Many people make these now and I think they run about $5K. Mine also came with another pin for the big 10 ton size 5th wheel. Here's a simpler civi one:
http://www.towyourown.com/

jeff

5tonpuller

They had a lot bigger vesion I seen at the armery here. Did not take and pictures but the next time I see it I will. Now I want a 5th wheel tractor too. ( Wife will have a fit. )

tcody

I ran across this thread recently. I have been looking for a Holmes FW-35 for awhile to complete my wrecker restoration. The fifth wheeler in the previous posts are significantly different than the the Holmes units I was familiar with. Can anyone give a little history of the design changes/specifications etc..? I have attaches a picture of the FW-35 which was available for civilian and Military use - circa 1986.

tcody

Ron - either style would look good on the 8x8. Have you started to restore it yet? would love to see a few photos of the progress.
Thane

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
thane,
havent done a thing with it yet, never home enough and something ealse always comes up, hows the mann 10t comming

tcody

Ron,
Haven't touched it. We've been dealing with snow and ice here (6 inches today). Maybe in the spring!
Thane

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks