• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton Brush/wildland/fire truck Build

azkcr

Hey guys.
I posted a while back when I got the trucks (a year now?).
Well after y'all answered a few easy questions, I was able to get underway.
The truck unfortunately was blown apart for painting after I fabbed everything up and wasn't useable during these last round of fires y'all might have heard of (1million acres here in TX Panhandle).

It's a 1990. 1700gl tank. Hale Pump with 18hp Vanguard. Variable nozzle from 7-50gpm.

I wanted to get some pics up for y'all and see if y'all could answer a few quick Qs and maybe make some suggestions.

My shutter stat is leaking out the back, and my temp gauge never gets above 120°.
Is this a separate issue?

My front axle boots are toast. I already have 2 zipper boots on the way, have I made a mistake going that route?

I will get up more pics and info on what I did for anyone else looking for this info. I had to forge my own trail because I couldn't get much info online so hopefully I can help someone else.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Cool stack !!! Beard of chains isn't too shabby either. I enjoy to see creative ideas. Is your fan spinning when engine temp is say 100F? If not, then it is correct and you'll need a new thermostat. Shutter should not be leaking, take it apart, clean, and lubricate it, try again.

So it looks like you use the gas engine pump to fill the tank (outlet goes to tank, center suction goes to rear of truck)? Opposite of what I would imagine, unless you are pulling from a lake and have a separate outlet pump? Vanguard is a great engine (Japanese). The twin tip for its exhaust is cool, but I'm surprised they don't want a US Forrest Service approved spark arrestor on it. Also, you may get dinged on using a modified OSHA fuel transport can as a fuel tank for your pump engine? That is easy to drain and refill though. This is all only if somebody gets picky or hurt. Otherwise, fun stuff, and better than not being there or not having it.

Does the tank railing do anything? Only if there is a walkable path between it and the tank? Otherwise, remove it, paint a big 8 ball on the tank sides, and I'd ride in it.

Another fun use of these trucks. Nice work.

Last edited:

azkcr

Haha. Thanks. The plumbing of the pump allows me to either draft to fill, or use it to spray from our nozzle up top.

The dual exhaust on the pump is only to keep the exhaust from hitting the tank.

The railing allows a verrrry tight walk down the sides and is there for when kids want to ride for parades.

Things like a spark arrestor and modified has tank are below their radar when the fires are going. Just glad you showed up. Haha

I will get that stat pulled and rework it. Just the backend right? No draining of the coolant needed?

Thanks!

74M35A2

As thought. Cool.

You'll need to drain coolant down to below stat level, so that is at least half of it or more. At that point, drain all, do a Cascade flush, change stat, and refill with new. Good for another 5 years or whatever.

aziator

If you are really quick you can pull the stat and plug the hole without losing much coolant. I used a rubber stopper like a powder coating shop would use to plug holes when painting. It is a bigger plug, once in I didn't leak a drop.

74M35A2

azkcr, video your attempt at that and post a YouTube link. Make sure your wife says lot's of OMG's and the family dog is running around barking in it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice!

I would really love to hear how the school bus engine sounds with that short pipe!!!

azkcr

Haha!
I instructed my brother to pull the guts of the stat while I was working on some tank piping.
He only heard half of what I said and pulled the whole thing. Luckily I was low on coolant and only leaked a gallon or so. My big Oring is pretty flat and hard.

And I'll try to get a video of it running down the road.
The stack is so loud that I wear ear plugs on drives >5mins.

There is a practical reason to the hood stack. I wanted the most bed space possible since we can't fight from the front of the truck in our county. It freed up over 1' 6" of bed space.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
....And I'll try to get a video of it running down the road.
The stack is so loud that I wear ear plugs on drives >5mins....
Well that rules that mod out for me. I love my nice quiet, cushy, school bus ride!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a fine brass screen inside the elbow of the air hose that attaches to the shutter stat; if your air dryer ever went through a period of deferred maintenance (like the majority of these trucks while awaiting auction), then most likely that elbow screen will be plugged. Either clean it thoroughly to allow air pressure to pass, or remove it entirely. Mine was plugged, not allowing enough air pressure to pass through to engage fan clutch.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure you keep your air dryer serviced...the screen is there to keep all that gunk out of your fan hub.

NEIOWA

Next time use SS pipe/fittings for plumbing. Not much more than the POS Chicom/Indian treaded plumbing parts find at farm fleet. Tank/pump are expensive already.

You with a FD or freelancing/

azkcr

"To knock down brush".
Hah.. Kidding. Because it looks cool.

And the plumbing is all internal coated pipe and fittings. Half the cost of stainless but still get the corrosion resistance.

And freelance/volunteer?
With the county FD but paid for by a company? It's a weird situation.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks