• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton Buying Guide?

MilitaryTruckNoob

So about 2 years ago I saw a Deuce and a half on youtube driving through the middle of a river and fell in love. I had to have one. I've have since discovered the 5-Ton beasts. Even better. I have finally saved up the cash and I'm ready to own one of these. The specific one I have my eye on is the M925A2. I don't know anything about these trucks. I don't know my ass from my elbow about them. I can check the tires, I can check the oil, I can look for rust, but I have no idea what one of these things is supposed to sound like, drive like, look like, or even smell like. I've never even seen one in real life.

So my question is: Can we construct a buying guide for when I drive 15+ hours to check out one of these vehicles? A checklist of what to look for to aid in not getting scammed when purchasing one of these vehicles. (I'll even post a final copy of what I create from this thread to take with me if anyone want's to stick it in an FAQ or a sticky thread.)

Some thing's I'm curious about are:

1) How important is what year it was manufactured? Are there features or upgrades in later models? I've seen from 1988-1991 so far.
Notes: "Deuces built for the Air Force between 1987 and 1989 and the M35A3’s have a dual circuit system" from "So you want to buy a Deuce (final).doc"
Answer:

2) How important is it the year it was refurbished by the military?

3) Are all refurbishes basically the same procedure? As in, should I look for some special codes that one truck was refurbished with something better than another truck?

4) How important are miles?
a) Miles vs price
b) Miles post refurbish?

5) Soft top vs hard top? Though the only options I've seen in the last week are all soft top.
Answer: Very Opinion Based.​

6) How much of a money pit will these things become? They look durable, but things like ABS and CTIS make me think breakage frequently.
Notes: Have read various complaints about CTIS

7) They seem to be ~10-14k for one fresh from surplus dealer. Is that about right?

8 ) Any other warnings, words of advice, things to look out for.

Thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom.

Last edited:

jdknech

did you mean m35a2? and my advice is to read the operators TM (i think its the -10) TWICE! because you will miss something the first time through.. i know its a boring read, but it will tell you LOTS about how it is supposed to drive and how it works..

also- fill in where in VA you are, it is a site requirement, but also because someone on here might see you are close to them, and offer to let you come check there truck out so you have a idea what to look for..

the best year (in my mind) is a 1988? airforce truck.. because of the dual circuit brakes.. but the best thing is to dig in, and do LOT and LOTS of reading here on SS.. I can promise you if you look, you will fine a handfull of checklists already posted, and while you are trying to find them, you will learn more then you ever thought there was to know.. and welcome to the addiction!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
also- fill in where in VA you are, it is a site requirement, but also because someone on here might see you are close to them, and offer to let you come check there truck out so you have a idea what to look for..
Per the Forum rules only the State is required. Location in the State is nice but not required. The OP is conforming to the rules.

He is looking at a 5ton. More than likely a M925A2. Without him responding we are all just guessing. This thread is in the 5Ton forum.

MilitaryTruckNoob

Per the Forum rules only the State is required. Location in the State is nice but not required. The OP is conforming to the rules.

He is looking at a 5ton. More than likely a M925A2. Without him responding we are all just guessing. This thread is in the 5Ton forum.
Yep, wrong model, corrected. Thank you.

jedawson1

I purchased the M925A1 and an glad I did. Non turbo has plenty of low end grunt, and I don't have to fool with CTIS.
The A1 has the super singles too.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Make sure you have a clean title!!!! Where are you in VA??? I live in the northeast corner of NC and would be willing to let you get some hands on mine, and even help you with recovery if your close.

MilitaryTruckNoob

Hey everyone, thank you for all the links to documentation. I've read everything linked to.

From what I've gathered it's not much different than buying any other vehicle, except for check the breaks 3 or 4 times and then follow that by checking the breaks. Fortunately I will be bringing a mechanic with me, however, not a diesel mechanic or a military vehicle mechanic.

Are there any documents specific to the M925A2? Everything posted seems to reference the Deuce and a half, which may be my fault due to the incorrect model number. I tried looking around this site for the "-10" document for this model but I failed to locate it.

Not sure of Question 1 has been answered for M925A2. Does this information also apply to M925A2?: "Deuces built for the Air Force between 1987 and 1989 and the M35A3’s have a dual circuit system" from "So you want to buy a Deuce (final).doc"

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will want the TMs for the M939 series trucks

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?79228-TM-s-for-the-939-series-trucks

You are looking for TM 9-2320-272-10 Operators Manual. While you do not need to print the entire manual, you will want to skim thru it to familiarize yourself with the operations of the truck.

The statement for the Deuces does not apply as they are air over hydraulic brake systems. The M925 is full air brakes.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also be advised that in most states, not sure about VA, that any 939 series vehicle require a Class B or Class A driver's license. Whether that's a CDL or not again depends on the state. Good luck on the search.

Doug Roberts

I think the M925A2 is the best. Lighter , super singles , turbo , and yeah if you don't luck out with CTIS just take it off. The mileage showing on a truck could be actual , but probably isn't. The military can do whatever they want in setting that mileage. There aren't any consumer odometer mileage statements they have to abide by. lol They generally set the miles back when you see one refurbished , but they still set it where they want it. With the questions you are asking , it makes me advise to you , to seek purchasing a truck from someone on here , SS site. You're probably shooting in the dark too much buying a truck surplused.

Triple C

Welcome to the site. I think it's awesome that you are taking your time to educate yourself regarding your purchase. I hope you are as diligent regarding the driving of the truck as well. These are not just big pickups. These are not even just big class 8 vehicles. They are tactical vehicles that require a driving skillset that is peculiar to them. That is not to say you can't drive it, just be really careful, understand they don't stop, turn or maneuver like anything you have driven and leave yourself lots and lots of room. Above all else, don't get lulled into thinking "it's easy." Have fun and keep us posted!

Ford Mechanic

To answer your brakes question, M35A2 brakes are air over hydro, and the M925A2 should have airbrakes very similar in operation to other large air braked vehicles. It will not have the yellow brake release nob on the dash, instead it's built into the parking brake lever. Don't push the black nob on the dash thinking it's the same thing.

tmr4479

This is a great thread. I bought a 1970 m818 about a year ago off craigslist. Complete spur of the moment purchase, but a great one! It has got to be one of the most fun vehicles I have ever driven. They can be a pain to work on because everything is so heavy. I don't know much about the 900 series trucks but mine is super simple.

jhooah

Local Govt Cautions

Don't forget where your planning on storing the truck, many have brought them home only to find their neighbors are less enthusiastic and usually end up calling the County, etc. for Code wars...

My recollection is the earlier the model the less desirable they are, hence the A2's that were sold off recently from Fort Eustis that turned out to be A1's are not the best in the series to sink money into. A main reason the Army was unloading them...So shoot for an A2 (usually things get the bugs worked out of them by the 2nd model) and think about watching those videos a few times, they really work on describing the trucks in detail to the troops when they first came out and extensively elaborate on the BRAKES and stopping distances required.
Last:
Insurance...if you haven't checked, (Progressive,etc.) may not be your best carrier for the truck you desire, some will require specialty insurers. Remember here in Va. you have to carry insurance for issuance of the plates, or pay the $650 a year to not have any coverage. (stupid rule there, should be a requirement if it's on the road)
Good luck with it, you may want to offer up where you are within Va. and a fellow 5T owner/operator may help you inspect it, etc. (or drive theirs for some experience 1st)
V/R W Winget
See this post about local village idiots that was just posted.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?128530-Village-is-at-it-again!-Attack-on-MV!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks