• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton gotcha's in NM?

serial14

I had read about the medical requirements for the CDL. I don't think that will be an issue as I currently have the highest FAA health rating for my job.

I will continue to do my research and figure out what my approach will be.

ryanlf84

Serial14, what did you end up doing about your 5 ton? We just bought a 5 ton in Texas and are about to register it in New Mexico. Were you able to register your M923 as a historic vehicle? Are you able to drive it legally without a CDL?

serial14

ryanlf84,

yeah I got the 5 ton figured out and helped some other SS members navigate the process. This is what I've found and had to go through. As with all things MVD... your experience may vary.

1. Congrats on the truck. Hopefully its not too much truck for you and you enjoy it. The 5 ton was a big step up from the deuce and I know several that its turned out to be too much truck.
2. Find insurance for it. In my research, many companies wanted to give me commercial truck insurance which was $$$. I ended up going with State Farm personally who gave me personal insurance with low miles, no restrictions.
3. Because its an out of state vehicle( military vehicles from auction are out of state in ALL states.... they are stateless ). You're going to need a VIN inspection. Problem is, military trucks don't have normal VINs. You'll go to your normal DMV or MVD Express or where ever and you'll fail the VIN inspection... but you have to do that step so that you can get referred to a "Level 3 VIN inspection". You'll then set up an appointment with the Police department or go on one of their free days and have the vehicle inspected. Its not a big deal, the police vehicle theft department mechanics just look it over and check the military serial numbers. If you go on the free days, its free :). If you schedule an appointment its like $60 if I remember right.
4. You'll then go to a STATE MVD and complete the vehicle registration as normal. This is one point where things are weird. According to the Law there is nothing wrong with registering it as a personal vehicle at the full GVW. I know some people that have gotten it registered at the full 32,000 GVW and I was planning on that. However, the people I was working with were too afraid of that and just registered it at 26,000GVW. No matter what I did or said I couldn't get them to change it. I made the personal choice to accept it and move on. My truck wasn't old enough to even begin to qualify for historic plates, so I didn't even research that option.
5. IF its derated when you register it, then your normal drivers license will work.
6. IF its rated at the full GVW, you need a class E license as a private persons. This isn't a big deal... just more $$$ to the state, no test, no inspections, no rules, just a 1 time fee. I actually got my Class E since at that time the MVD indicated they would register it at the full GVW.
7. No emissions requirements in any county in the State. In Bernallilo, the truck is except because of age, GVW, & tire count.

I hope this helps.