• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton Starter Help - Cummins 250

AndyT

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a starter for a m923(cummins 250) ? Mine gave up the ghost...

Batteries are good, starter clicks sometimes, slow/no engagement most times. No voltage drop, so Im thinking its the solenoid.

Questions/comments welcome. Thx!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get it rebuilt. Be cheaper. It could be the black box on the firewall on the drivers side.

AndyT

Thanks, I need to pull it. Have just been fiddling with it this afternoon.

I was weighing that option.. wanted to see if anyone had a spare the wanted to sell. And, this starter has seen some high water.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whack the solenoid and the back of the starter by the brushes and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes the brushes can stick when worn and you can get it to release and start.

The solenoid is widely available but if you go that route I would replace starter.

If replacing the starter, strongly recommend going to the new lighter direct drive high torque unit 74m35a2? has available

snowtrac nome

The solenoids can be repaired to, you will replace 2 contacts and a plunger disc. When they go bad the disc gets eroded and the contacts burn away, usually the solenoids can be disassembled while the starter stays on the equipment

AndyT

Whack the solenoid and the back of the starter by the brushes and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes the brushes can stick when worn and you can get it to release and start.

The solenoid is widely available but if you go that route I would replace starter.

If replacing the starter, strongly recommend going to the new lighter direct drive high torque unit 74m35a2? has available

So I just went back out to do a little more looking. Opened the front of the starter solenoid and it looks pretty bad.. The inside contact of the + lug is melted and there is copper pellets in the solenoid housing. I suspected as much, for a week or so (about 4 months ago) I was lugging the starter pretty hard.

Juan, where cann I find the solenoids? I'd like to replace it if possible and keep this one as a back up. I'd also like to get one of the newer style from 75M35A2, I emailed him. Hope it went through because his PM box was full.

Thanks all for the suggestions - I will be checking the PCB tomorrow and pulling out the starter.

AndyT

The solenoids can be repaired to, you will replace 2 contacts and a plunger disc. When they go bad the disc gets eroded and the contacts burn away, usually the solenoids can be disassembled while the starter stays on the equipment
Bingo, thats it. (see above post) Where do I find the solenoid kits/ new solenoid?

Thank you for the help everyone !

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will need the starter casting/tag number to get the correct 24v solenoid. I "think" there is an ac delco version and a prestolite starter that were interchangeable. If you can post up the numbers, I will try to id. There is a tm here for just rotating electrical (starters & Alternators) btw.

AndyT

I think you will need the starter casting/tag number to get the correct 24v solenoid. I "think" there is an ac delco version and a prestolite starter that were interchangeable. If you can post up the numbers, I will try to id. There is a tm here for just rotating electrical (starters & Alternators) btw.
Thanks Juan, I found 3 TMs posted by Warthog. Those were starter specific for delco, prestolite and neece (I think that's the other design). I looked through all my TMs but I will search again here.

I will post some pics tomorrow, my plate and posts are pretty torn up... I could probably grind and clean them up some to get another few weeks out of it. But I need fresh parts. I will also get that tag #

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Fuzzytoaster has good takeout pcb boxes. I have 2 good take off starters shipped for fairly cheap

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AndyT

Thanks everyone for input. Got the solenoid out this morning and will be checking around for a replacement. I will probably contact you guys with starters, I think it would be a good idea to have a spare around. From what I read up on the PCBs, good to have a spare of that one too. Will PM.

Thanks again all, here some pics for your viewing pleasure. 20180309_115353.jpg20180309_115324.jpg20180309_115316.jpg20180309_115306.jpg20180309_115258.jpg

AndyT

Also, when I got it out, saw some wrench marks on the plunger shaft. Some rusty hammer marks on the top of the case too. So looks like it been a problem (I didn't do those.. they don't let me play with hammers).

74M35A2

Common on the old stuff, called contact welding. Modern starters use a knurled surface to prevent that from happening. I broke open a 2017 model with a hammer to take this photo and show:

80D11272-61FD-4D79-B669-7F19A302C10E.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks