• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton truck value

SLEA

Couple of questions, I am a newb. I've got a number of civilian trucks and assorted heavy equipment stuff but I found a 5 ton truck recently and decided to find out if It could be bought.
Long story short, I havn't looked at the model numbers yet, it was used for a log loader so the body is trashed, it's got the cummins engine that was professionally overhauled a while back. It run like a top.
I'm wondering where I could find body parts, maybe even a cab because it had a canvas top and they welded a homemade top on it. also what your opinion of the value would be.
I have my opinion on what to offer him, and I know value on this old stuff is mostly how bad you want it, but I don't want to be just stupid and pay for this the same price I could for one in alot better looking shape.
Thanks,

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures go a long way when trying to determine the value of something. If it's beat up and needs a lot of work, start off at offering scrap price for it.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to find out what the model is. I am guessing that it is a 800 series truck(809-820). If it is in that bad a shape, I wouldn't offer any more then scrap price.
You can pick up a running tractor or cargo truck for 2-4 g's from GL, and they maybe in better or worse shape then the truck you are looking at.
I gave 8100.00 for the M814 in my avatar. It came with a 35KW genny.:mrgreen:

SLEA

Yea, I know i'm not giving much info. I don't have any pics. My thoughts exactly on the scrap price. I really could use it to haul some large stuff that I need to move not more than 20 miles one way. Worst case scenario I could not worry about the body and just use it for functionality but they just look so darn good with a straight body and paint.

m816

No more than scrap price and don't forget the scrappers are chargin up wards of a hundred bucks per tire so adjust your scrap price accordinaly

SLEA

Yea, I've bought from GL several times and Camp Shelby is fairly close. I'm supposed to go today to either make an offer or think on it so I'll shoot some pics and get the model number. To make the deal a little better it comes with another front end with a busted knuckle for parts, and another set of 1400 tires.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No more than scrap price and don't forget the scrappers are chargin up wards of a hundred bucks per tire so adjust your scrap price accordinaly
The scrap yards here shear the tires off the rim and make you take them with you , they won't take anything with tires on it .

SLEA

pics

ok, here's the pics. I go tomorrow to make the deal. Its a M821. It was overhauled some years ago when it was being used for a log loader. The engine runs good, no brakes at all.
It comes with another 5 ton front-end that has a broken knuckle, the loader was too heavy so the front end was replaced and a lighter loader was put on.
It also has another complete set of tires, he said they were 1400's, he took them off because they wouldn't clear the loader. I havn't seen them yet.

Here are the pics, i'd appreciate any advice you experienced guys wanna give.

I don't know why the pics are just links, they should show up, I tried several variants of the image link and they still didn't show.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She has definatly been used and abused . Start at scrap price and make sure you have a clean title in hand when money changes hands ,if you work out a deal .

SLEA

It was never tagged, it was legal for him to drive on the road because the loader was permanently attatched and he said that classified it as off-road. I'll have to ask if he has a title.

SLEA

My tug in my avitar has 5,000 lbs. of extra weight but i can't bring myself to scrap that beautiful front bumper. lol
I'm one that likes to hang on to stuff.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was never tagged, it was legal for him to drive on the road because the loader was permanently attatched and he said that classified it as off-road. I'll have to ask if he has a title.
If he dosen't have a title it's a parts truck , that truck probably isn't worth the headaches trying to get a title . No registration is one thing , no proof of ownership is a big red flag . There are too many titled trucks out there too bother with the hassles of no title .

SLEA

He is set at 3,000. This motor is what I'd call fresh, he called Memphis equip. And they told him they sold the rebuilt motors for 5,000. And he's wanting to call someone to get the winch priced.
Yea I know they are allot prettier from a GL auction but honestly I've got crap for luck and chances are I'd have to put some major money in an auction truck. Also getting an auction truck to me will cost some more. Hes hauled logs all his life and said for 100.00 he'd drive it to my house.
And he's having his wife pull the title.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like he used the truck as a bulldozer once or twice........

F18hornetM

For comparison I paid $2400 for this one at GL. Ran, had to make some minor repairs to brakes. and now painting but was in great shape. I wouldnt give much for that truck for sure when im sure you can find one in better shape for near the price he wants. Good luck
My thinking on this one from GL was if it was junk at least i could scrap and break even.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like she was rode hard and put up wet, then left to rust.

I'd start at less than scrap because there is a lot of work they would have to do in order to get scrap prices out of it. Tires, fuel tank and glass for starters have to be removed. Some places also give you less if it isn't in small pieces as well.

I'd offer $1,500 if the engine and drive line are okay.