• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton truck value

SLEA

Front bumper

That's awesome "f18hornetM" and there is only one reason why I'm not 100 percent on your side.

It all has to do with me moving and this front winch and bumper and me having a pile of 1500 lb axles to move. Along with a 20' storage building and a 13,000 lb Chevy tug.
I think I can rig up a roller on the top of that upright and run the winch over it to pick up my axles to load on a trailor.
If I have to pay somebody to move all this crap 30 miles one way and quite a few trips then I've gave a bunch of money somebody who likely has more than me.
But,lol. Honestly your post pains me even more. I have enough cash to do this once not twice and I do like the 110% better looking rigs.

Lol, A while ago he pulled it forward and when he did the rear crossmember between the frame rails pulled down a 10' tall pine that had grown between it all.

ChuckM

SLEA,
If he doesn't want to negotiate then I would walk away. To load your stuff on a trailer you can rig a jib pole with snatch block/cable and use your daily driver as the winch. Then you just gotta figure a way to move the tug.

Edit-I would loan you my Massey tractor if you were closer.

Last edited:

1943ht

Friend, We all know what its like when you get that fever .. but for its condition and his price and like so many others have stated .. steer clear and look for something on GL .. There are so many opportunities if one has the patience .. had similar situation and am SO GLAD that I waited .. found my M818 with less that 7K miles and only a couple of hundred hours on the engine and picked it up a little more than what this gent wants .. sure there are many on the site here that will tell you the same ... hold out for something better, you will be so glad that u did in the long run

Last edited:

SLEA

m821

Thanks for the advice guys,
to answer "porkysplace" question he is set firm on 3,000 for the truck with winch, another complete set of 1400-20 tires on rims that are better than the 11.00-20's that are on it now. And another 5T front axle with a busted knuckle. When talking about parting it out he said he'd want 4,000 for the engine and 1,000 for the winch.

To be honest till reading the last 5 or so post I had convinced myself to overpay by you guys standards, due to the fact it does run so good, it's very close and I guess I've got the fever because the want factor is pushing me pretty hard. I had about decided thin wall tubing and some sheet metal could clean it up some if I was bothered with the looks.
I'm about 130 miles one way from Camp Shelby, I read quite a few old posts this weekend and allot of statements played hard. A few that ring out are:

one comment about a truck being pretty decent considering it came from Camp Shelby.
one comment said that all the trucks were mostly all parked where they are waiting on a re-build.
and quite a few talking about how stuff was different after the pics and auction, like things being dented up and robbed.

I've already bought a CUCV from there a few months back and the listing said it was towed in, I hoped I could get it running and I gave 800 for a 80's crew cab, when it got home it was missing all sorts of stuff off the engine and things like hose clamps on A/C lines just to make it look complete. I dumped over 500 trying to get the engine going, most of that was a new holly carb. and fluids, wires, cap, rotor, etc.. Well i rolled the dice and lost cause it still sits with major internal problems that first showed signs to be carb. or ignition.

The worst part of looking for a 5T on GL is i'd have to take off pretty much a day of work to go look at the trucks pre-auction, then I'd have to deal with the logistics and cost of getting it transported. All that steadily jacks up the final cost of getting a running truck in my possession.

SLEA

Heck for much less than that I could get this truck running and put a gin pole on the back of it. I've read where these axles are rated at 5t and some say 3t.
IMG_6649.jpg

I guess the fever finally broke, lol
Though, One day I will own a 5t

midcounty

In my opinion, if you broke it down to parts value the truck is probably worth that much. Would I buy it, probably not. Would i restore it, absolutely not. I see a parts truck there, and maybe a work around the farm truck. If you want one to put on the road, I would wait for a better one. It would cost a heck of alot of time and money to fix this one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks