• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton vs deuce

lfranz166

Well this is my first post guys

I have been reading posts on hear doing some research and yes im a noob with a tough decision to make

im going to buy my first MV as soon as my other car sells and my question is for a truck that will be a bobber would you go for a 5 ton or a deuce

im finding for what i want which is a truck with power steering and a winch i can get a 5 ton truck for nearly the same money as a deuce

the truck will see a fair amount of on road use, car shows, and Yankee lake truck night in ohio

Long term the truck will end up being similarly finished like robr's bobber

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do a 5T go with an older multifuel version then you can run WMO or ATF.
I think on the Cummins you can mix 50/50 or better w/ diesel.

Sirblissfull

Quarkz is correct 50 -50 WMO and Diesel runs well in the NHC 250s.

Personally I would not trade my 5 tons for a 2.5 I might buy a 2.5 to haul parts for my 5 tons though.

Its nice to have a small vehicle to run errands in after all.

hdmax

If you can get either for similar money, it is a no brainier! The 5 ton would me my choice without any hesitation whatsoever!
But with a 5 ton, I would never bob it!

Sirblissfull

Do not forget to check your local and state regs on the weight for a 5 ton if you do not have a CDL you might need one.

The insurance is also going to be more and your mileage will be half to a third that of a deuce.

On a long trip that REALLY adds up fast.

If you want a Bobber buy a Deuce. I hardly notice the steering difficulty anymore :mrgreen: you can upgrade it later. Alot of them come with winches, but as stated above if you can get them for the same $ get a 5 ton.

Hey there from a fellow Western PA'er! Did you check out all of the 5 ton and 2.5 tons on the other end of the state on GL? Looks like lots of good trucks to me. For what its worth, I have 3 five tons that I work, but my neighbor down over the hill from me has a bobbed deuce that is very cool. You can hear it coming from a mile away. So, my vote...work: 5 Ton, play: 2.5 Ton.

lfranz166

Well that certainly puts things in perspective. I just got an email back about a bobbed deuce for sale on the classified section here. So if ive got the cash this weekend I'll be goin to get it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, my back no longer allows me to lift 5 ton parts. Brake drums kill me but I can handle the little stuff on a deuce no problem. Also consider the weight and CDL issue and look into insurance.

gunboy1656

lfranz166,

First I want to say welcome from Beaver Falls (about 40 miles North of the burgh) if you can get up this way the second weekend of June there is a car show, my deuce will be in and another member brings his 5 ton to. You can see the difference first hand.

Last edited:

lfranz166

well thanks for the welcome... im thinkin i will have a bobbed deuce in the next few weeks...

what car show is it, i live just one exit over the turnpike from you in zelienople

gunboy1656

I actually live in Darlington, the car show I mentioned is the one down in Beaver Falls. The guy with the 5 ton takes his up to Cranberry for theirs as well. As I said, it is the second weekend in June.

bill2444

I would recomend a trial ride in both, If you can arrange to find some owners. You might find that one or the other is not what you expected. Might find a bobber is cool to look at, but you don't like driving it.

Sgt Bilko

When did the Army stop using the NHC 250's? Did the 900 series have them? what is WMO? Also, I've read in other posts that people get used oil and ATF from places like Jiffy lube. I know Jiffy lube has to pay to get rid of it. Do they just give it to you? I don't know if this is covered in another post somewhere, but I have looked and can't find answers to these questions. I know all the differences in both the deuce and 5 ton just not some specifics. Would appreciate any help or advice in choosing. I am thinking about making a RV out of one or at least a camping / boy scout troop truck. I know my scouts would be stoked..haha. I've seen guys with the M109's make them. Pretty cool.

Diecorpse

Wmo=waste motor oil. Most garages won't give their oil away because of liability and insurance. You can ask, I tried the smaller shops, asking the owners if I can buy their waste oil, only found two out of ten that would. Also try farmers who own their own trucks and such, they usually have a lot of wmo. Yes, 900 series has cummins motors, not sure what there newer medium duty trucks have. 5 ton or Deuce, it really depends on your preference. I love the Deuce. Still would like the 5 ton, but I prefer the M 800 series, they have the multi fuels and manual trans. I never have liked automatic trans, in any vehicle.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Army is still using the NHC250 in the 939 series trucks. At least they were when I saw them driving M923s at Ft Polk a couple of weeks ago.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Wmo=waste motor oil. Most garages won't give their oil away because of liability and insurance. You can ask, I tried the smaller shops, asking the owners if I can buy their waste oil, only found two out of ten that would. Also try farmers who own their own trucks and such, they usually have a lot of wmo. Yes, 900 series has cummins motors, not sure what there newer medium duty trucks have. 5 ton or Deuce, it really depends on your preference. I love the Deuce. Still would like the 5 ton, but I prefer the M 800 series, they have the multi fuels and manual trans. I never have liked automatic trans, in any vehicle.
m809 series trucks have the 250 Cummins, m39a2 series five ton trucks have the LDS-465 multifuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks