• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton VSS the hot gun

panzerwillie

Well after bringing this truck down for parts my friend that needed the parts told me he would not touch it for a few days because he had to clean the shop for a inspection, but today i got a call from him to ask me what i needed so i rush over there and here is what i found :evil:
IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

panzerwillie

Well i know he was not acting along he had good help from MR torch and SIR forklift, but no matter
what i know this good steel soldier deserve a better ending , at least its good parts will be use
in street trucks like on the pictures:lol:
IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see an LDS with correct 5 ton turbo!

This thread is a sad ending to a piece of American History!

Just last night, I was at a County Fair, for the Truck and Tractor-pull show. There were 4 tractors there with either single or two Allison V12 aircraft engines on them. I mentioned to the announcer(The announcer was "new" and I was on the stage with the announcer and organizers), the "history", specs and age of the engines. It saddens me to realize the younger(under 60) crowd has no clue as to the history of WWII Aircraft. Seeing the engines in use brings all kinds of thoughts to my mind. I often wonder if someone in the crowd's grandfather or great grandfather, may have ran that very engine, to save his own life, while fighting to defend freedom for the World! They are truly "History" and deserve some respect and a place in out hearts.

btw, I could use that front bumper and I would buy that turbo setup complete.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see an LDS with correct 5 ton turbo!

This thread is a sad ending to a piece of American History!

Just last night, I was at a County Fair, for the Truck and Tractor-pull show. There were 4 tractors there with either single or two Allison V12 aircraft engines on them. I mentioned to the announcer(The announcer was "new" and I was on the stage with the announcer and organizers), the "history", specs and age of the engines. It saddens me to realize the younger(under 60) crowd has no clue as to the history of WWII Aircraft. Seeing the engines in use brings all kinds of thoughts to my mind. I often wonder if someone in the crowd's grandfather or great grandfather, may have ran that very engine, to save his own life, while fighting to defend freedom for the World! They are truly "History" and deserve some respect and a place in out hearts.

btw, I could use that front bumper and I would buy that turbo setup complete.
The allison would, outside of aircraft use, have been better used to build a custom loooong nosed roadster or truck, where it could live on for decades. Sadly those tractor pulls end up destroying otherwise good engines.

I am sad to see the 5T front unceremoniously flipped over ruining the heart of the vehicle for those that might have wanted some parts off that. What's he going to do with the rears? hand cart??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opcom, it is amazing to see these antique engines compete and win, against other multiple engined tractors with some of the most expensive brands of blown/injected hemis on the market(Keith Black, Sassy and Rodak and Aries).

When those Allisons are full throttle, I can almost see the design engineers at their desks in the 30's and early 40's, with slide rules, pencils, and drafting tables. Or the machinists, at the mills, or the Men and Women at the Assembly lines, putting together machines that are needed ASAP. The thoughts race through my mind for the 15-20 seconds or so, that they run these tractors down the track.

They were truly, advanced technology, that have stood the test of time.

BTW, in 20 years of pulling, I have never seen(at least I can't recall now) an Allison engine blowing. Just last night I did see a couple Hemi's blow.

Here's a link to an older video. ThumperII is one of the tractors that ran last night.

YouTube - Thumper 2 Two Allison AirCraft Engines V-12 's 1700CI Each Empire State Pullers 2009 and the Gambler

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the inspection must not have been from the local environmental agency, because they would have had a fit over dumping all the oil out on the floor and then using absorbant to clean it up and send it to the landfill, where it will leach into the groundwater for the next 1000 years.

panzerwillie

here in dade county oil dry goes to a recycle plant allong willl the colection of all waste fluieds, so i'm sure it will not end up in a land field, well at list thats what they said upon pick up under county laws, no matter what many of the parts will be use for good vehicles;-)

panzerwillie

for all you hahas it was going to end up in the scrap yard and the material was goig to be ship to china any way so all the good parts are being use for other projects and vehicles here in the good USA amen................:lol:

ALFA2

While there is nothing wrong with using the parts one needs from a parts truck, that certainly looks like it was done quick and rough. Shame the residue could not be sold to others, for more parts, before being cut up.

ALFA2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks