• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton wrecker fun

Greasy

Last weekend I decided to take all the missing wrecker equipment that I have been collecting over the last 3 years and set up my M543 to tow a M35. Saturday 11/13 a museum I volunteer at was having a “wings and wheels” car, airplane, motorcycle and boat show. What better place to tow around a broken Duce at!!! Below are pictures my wrecker hooked up after being pressure washed. The last photo is my wrecker, the Duce, M37 and a M101. If this picture was black and white, it could have been taken in the early 70’s. C37E690D-E983-4C2C-A9C0-56BD1463C460.jpegC0B53828-B7FA-4F7C-91A7-C921E1FC24B9.jpegEDB09957-A4F1-4AB5-AE27-F37DCBD16E8A.jpeg29278AB5-4FD6-4B96-A310-B036226F467D.jpeg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did you use cable on your hook as opposed to hooking directly to the whiffletree?
... beat me to the question!! and whiffletree is on backwards - must have had Soldier B assist hooking it up rather than use the crane hook and the whiffletrees loose 'staple' to position it.

Greasy

Looks great!!

Why did you use cable on your hook as opposed to hooking directly to the whiffletree?
Thank you for the compliment. When I hooked it up, the block hook was really close to the duce’s grill guard. Secondly this was the first time I’ve ever hooked the wrecker to another vehicle, learning curve figuring it all out 😁 (and loved every minute of it).

Greasy

... beat me to the question!! and whiffletree is on backwards - must have had Soldier B assist hooking it up rather than use the crane hook and the whiffletrees loose 'staple' to position it.
Ha! No soldier B involved, did it all by myself (Armstrong). Took my time setting up the axle clamps followed by the tow bar, using a broken pallet on edge to hold the tow bar at the right height to catch the pintle hitch. Keep the information coming, I appreciate the guidance. My next hook up, I will try hooking the block hook directly in the waffle tree, it gets close to the Duce grill guard.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think the hook would have been OK and just turning it around so hook is facing tow truck. I have done some lift tows and never did it but thought about a shackle on the boom hole and a chain running down to the truck. Just in case the cable broke. Do not know if really needed and I do not know about you but when I was towing lift or otherwise was always thinking / praying nothing would go wrong. I got lucky on all my tows and no problems.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks