• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5w40 diesel oil

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
first number is how it flows at very cold temp.
Second number is how it flows at operating temperature.
Sure you can run 5W40, but in conventional oils they have to use additives to modify the flow characteristics at cold temps. The further apart the two numbers are is also directly related to how quickly the oil can break down due to shear stresses (once again, only talking about conventional here)

So basically, if you don't need it for extreme cold weather starting, the additional cost isn't really worth it.

twisted60

Thanks was looking at oils for my next change, leaning toward synthetic Rótela T5 or T6, saw Mobil 1 synthetic in 5W40 that’s were conversation started from. In Florida when it gets down to 60 we shut everything down, put on winter jackets and crank up the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Synthetic oils are a whole different thing than conventional.
Many synthetic oils are engineered in such a way that for multi viscosity ratings, they don't have to add anything to lower the first number. They handle the heat and stress inside the engine much better than their conventional counterparts.

The main reason why a lot of people say not to run them is if you're doing normal driving and normal oil change intervals (the ones recommended for conventional oils) there really isn't much benefit to them.
Some people also complain that seals start leaking after changing to synthetic oil from conventional, which does happen sometimes.

Synthetic oils really shine when you are talking about extreme conditions. Super cold/super hot temperatures, or running the engine at max output for extended periods of time.
They also last much longer than conventional oils, so if you aren't afraid to increase the miles between oil changes then the cost difference is negligible or non-existent in many cases. You do have to pair it with an oil filter designed for extended intervals though for best results.

Problem here is you don't actually know how long you can run the oil before wearing it out (so to speak) the only real way to know is with a used oil analysis.
The analysis costs money. I forget how much, but it's something like $30 or $50. Compare that to the cost of an oil change, and it doesn't make sense. 2 gallons of conventional oil is about $30, and a filter is another $15 or so. You can change the oil for about the price of the analysis, which makes it a moot point.

I will say though I'm running Mobil 1 M1-302A filter rated by the manufacturer for 20k miles between changes, and Triax Fleet Supreme full synthetic 15W40 oil rated for 25k between changes by the manufacturer. I'm about 8,500 miles since I changed the oil in it, and will probably go to 12 or 15k miles before changing. I don't usually work my truck all that hard, but I have towed with it a few times with enough wind resistance that I maxed out my power at 67mph (gen/ecu trailer with tents and the BEOD installed on the truck. I crossed the scales at 13.5k lbs in my M1123).

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Premium synthetic oil does not guarantee the same longevity for all types of vehicles. Using full-synthetic oil on gas-fed and diesel-fed engines will render different results. Compared to gasoline, diesel is less refined and produces more soot and acidic by-products. These contaminants take away from how long full-synthetic oil lasts, even when using premium synthetic oil brands.

And the old mechanical 6.2L and 6.5L are much "dirtier" than the now computer controlled direct injection engines.
You should NEVER go past 12 months on any oil change so unless you are driving 15-20000 miles a year synthetic has no advantage

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local TSC stopped carrying T4 in the 5 gal cans so I have switched to Mobile Delvac 1300 which is a "blend" but still maintain a 3K change interval on the 6.2L and a 5K on the Duramax

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Premium synthetic oil does not guarantee the same longevity for all types of vehicles. Using full-synthetic oil on gas-fed and diesel-fed engines will render different results. Compared to gasoline, diesel is less refined and produces more soot and acidic by-products. These contaminants take away from how long full-synthetic oil lasts, even when using premium synthetic oil brands.

And the old mechanical 6.2L and 6.5L are much "dirtier" than the now computer controlled direct injection engines.
You should NEVER go past 12 months on any oil change so unless you are driving 15-20000 miles a year synthetic has no advantage
Agreed. Oil in any engine that has been run should be changed yearly, no matter how many miles they are supposed to last. Even engines that burn fuel like propane or natural gas still have combustion byproducts that get into the oil and can cause issues over time.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is completely consistent with my opinion/experience/research on the topic.

For diesel engines, conventional oil changed frequently is the way to go.

I use Rotella in all my diesels, and change it yearly or 5k miles whichever comes first.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a really hard time finding 15/40 t4 rotella. Prices have went up on it also. Finally found 2.5 gallons at Walmart for 33.00. They had 2 but the other was leaking. Maybe a good time to start looking before you need it. I have a new truck coming and I’m starting to get oils, fluids and filters ready for it.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Prices going up. What.

I was looking at the "ZONE" at batteries prices. Counter help said three price hikes in the last three months. That $124 battery was now $185. OUCH!

Tell me... this isn't true, CAMO

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last oil I bought was some 1 gallon jugs of DP semi-synthetic 15W40 from tractor supply, marked down to $10 per gallon about a month ago. I bought all 6 gallons they had in the markdown section. (Had Heavy-D from youboob on the label?)
it's off brand, and I don't see it on the website, but still a good price for oil these days.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prices going up. What.

I was looking at the "ZONE" at batteries prices. Counter help said three price hikes in the last three months. That $124 battery was now $185. OUCH!

Tell me... this isn't true, CAMO
The price of copper cable has almost doubled as well. What I used to get for $99 is now $185.

This is designed and deliberate.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

Just Do Not ever put that used diesel crankcase oil into the fueltank. Can't get the soot out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks