• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2/6.5 Turbo Build

2INSANE

one other note, if you get the ORD high clearance cross member and ORD motor mounts then the cross over tube fits between the oil pan and motor mount and will then go in front of the axle under the balancer to the passenger side. makes for a very clean install and keeps it out of the way of everything else.
I got the ORD mounts already installed and have the ORD cross over on my upgrade pile. That’s helpful info! Thanks!

Attachments

2INSANE

Found another 6.5 TD at the junkyard. Saved it from the crusher. The motor has 208k runs amazing and 4l80e trans. Was salvaged because of rear end went out.

The trucks body was pristine 3 days ago. The junkyard guys Fucxxx up the body with their forklift. Sad...

If anyone needs interior parts let me know!

Then sliced my hand on a glass cup that broke while doing dishes. 13 stitches.

Strong mechanic hands and thin glass cups don’t go together...

Attachments

Last edited:

2INSANE

Today I started unbolting the 2nd 6.5 TD Donor. The motor and parts are much cleaner then the 1st donor. I should have it out by tomorrow.

All I have left is 3 more transmission bolts, motor mounts and unbolt the down pipe and she is out!

In my search of knowledge I have come to the conclusion that it would be better to have the 6.5 Driver Exhaust Manifold on the 6.2 to help with better flow and egt’s since it is more open then the 6.2 manifold.

I read that the oil cooler lines from the 6.5 will clear the manifold. I will try doing this when the time comes.

I am also considering putting in the 4L80E in my M1009.

Anyone know what this box thing is?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dsilverline

Nice CUCV man! Lot's of good upgrades on there. Just fired up mine for the first time with my turbo upgrade mostly finished.....was nice to see it all work. At this point I'm starting to think it would have been a faster project if I had pulled the motor after all haha. I didn't rebuild my internals at all so hopefully it will hold up!

2INSANE

Nice CUCV man! Lot's of good upgrades on there. Just fired up mine for the first time with my turbo upgrade mostly finished.....was nice to see it all work. At this point I'm starting to think it would have been a faster project if I had pulled the motor after all haha. I didn't rebuild my internals at all so hopefully it will hold up!
Thanks man! Keep your eyes peeled for the Banks build coming soon!

with no head studs I would keep her at 5-8 psi to be safe. If not, you may be pulling your motor anyway:)

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
with no head studs I would keep her at 5-8 psi to be safe. If not, you may be pulling your motor anyway:)
I recently installed a turbo spool stick from Leroy on my 98 K1500 6.5 and after lots of Googling and reading forums, I concluded that max 8 PSI is a safe pressure for a stock engine. It may peak to 10, but for a very short time. OBD2 trucks will go into limp mode if pressure above 8 PSI is sustained for 5 seconds or more. Might want to keep it 1 or 2 PSI lower for an older 6.2. Right now I have mine set around 6.5 to 7.2 psi. Towing about 15000 lbs it did not go over 7.2 psi.

Oh and engine temperature stayed around 198F with around 78F ambient temperature with lots of traffic light stops in-between. Can't tell about EGTs because I don't have a gauge for that (yet). Only mod to improve cooling is a Duramax fan and possibly the dual thermostat setup the 6.5 has while the 6.2 has single.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The dual thermostat isn't worth your time. Lots of guys swap back over to the single stat. Look at the diesel place and leroydiesel to see if its right for you. I am converting my dual stat 6.5 to single to put a db2 pump on it. Sick of the ds4 electronic gremlins.

Might sell mine if you decide its right for you(dual stat).

chevymike

The dual thermostat isn't worth your time. Lots of guys swap back over to the single stat. Look at the diesel place and leroydiesel to see if its right for you. I am converting my dual stat 6.5 to single to put a db2 pump on it. Sick of the ds4 electronic gremlins.

Might sell mine if you decide its right for you(dual stat).
I was just reading my Diesel Pages book I had bought back with my first M1010. It talks about the dual stats. Apparently the later model water pumps (like '94ish and up IIRC) had a much higher flowing water pump and needed the dual t-stats to get enough coolant flow. I guess the new pumps were almost 3 times more flow BUT these are only for serpentine belt systems (reverse rotation pumps). They seem to indicate they were not needed on the v-belt driven systems as those pumps are much lower flow rate.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't mean to change this thread into a thread about cooling, but it shouldn't be overlooked when installing a turbo IMO.

For the 6.5 I bought for the M1028 I decided to run a single stat crossover. I've did a lot of research and concluded at the time that the gains from the dual stat crossover where not worth the trouble of fabricating a custom throttle cable bracket. I did buy a high flow water pump from FlowKooler for a v-belt setup.

I'm using the 6.5 in my K1500 as a sort of test rig for now and eventually both engines will be pretty similar in upgrades. Like I mentioned, I run a Duramax fan and dual stat setup (stock on this truck). Oh and I forgot, it does have a high flow water pump (came with this year truck). Today I towed about 11000 lbs for about 16 miles (90% highway at about 52 mph) and engine temperature did not go over 198 F, transmission did not go over 160 F at 64 F ambient. Still no EGT gauge and my boost gauge was removed at the time, but should still be at 7.2 psi max.

My future cooling upgrades:

- Champion aluminum radiator
- B&M 70226 oil cooler for engine oil
- B&M 70266 oil cooler for transmission oil
- Heavy duty fan clutch
- Paradox by Design cooling upgrade kit
- Diamond Eye turbo back exhaust and crossover (besides better flow, it reportedly reduces EGT over stock pipe)
- HX40II turbo (more efficient, hence lowering EGT)

Please note, I'm not saying the above is the way to go. It's what I concluded from hours and hours of Googling and reading forums. My K1500 6.5 will, over time, tell if I concluded right.

Last edited:

Thatwelderguy88

hey all, look to be reviving a thread here but im also planning on a 6.2/6.5 swap on my 85. At first it was a far fetched thought since my truck is a bit of a mess thanks to the previous owner. But with that being said, the ideal parts donor unexpectedly showed up at the yard and i couldnt say no. 94 6.5td with the gm3 and 4911 blue tag IP. After reading this entire thread (which has answered many questions) among others i do have a few others. I want to do this right, and i know what work i need to do in order to have a reliable turbo'd 6.2. i do not plan to mount the turbo until spring because i use my truck to plow but needs a little help in the fueling department before i can even do that! so, my questions are as follows.
1. truck needs injectors. bit of white smoke under all loads and a slight miss. can i pregame and install 6.5 TD injectors with the 4911 IP while still NA?
2. the truck has been converted to standard ( sm465 np 208 ) is there anyone else who is running a turbo with a standard trans and is there anything that needs to be addressed differently? i wouldnt think so but the only stupid question is the one you dont ask. [thumbzup] ive searched around and havent come up with concrete answers. thanks in advance!

2INSANE

1. truck needs injectors. bit of white smoke under all loads and a slight miss. can i pregame and install 6.5 TD injectors with the 4911 IP while still NA?
Yes you can pregame and install the 4911 and 6.5 injectors on a 6.2. It will run and drive but you will get a lot of over fueling, black smoke and increase your temperatures. More power too! I would personally wait until the turbo is installed before you add more fuel. IMO

Before you do anything... Test your coolant pressure to make sure you don’t have any leaks. White smoke can be a sign of many things.

I have like 6 sets of 6.2 injectors with super low miles I can sell you if needed.

Thatwelderguy88

Yes you can pregame and install the 4911 and 6.5 injectors on a 6.2. It will run and drive but you will get a lot of over fueling, black smoke and increase your temperatures. More power too! I would personally wait until the turbo is installed before you add more fuel. IMO

Before you do anything... Test your coolant pressure to make sure you don’t have any leaks. White smoke can be a sign of many things.

I have like 6 sets of 6.2 injectors with super low miles I can sell you if needed.
I will probably hold off on the 6.5 injectors then. I figured the combo would flow more fuel but like you said without the turbo, higher egts and smoke. Dont want to do more harm then good.
I have tested the cooling system and so far everything checks out. Holds pressure, no milky oil, or anything in the exhaust stream that i can tell. The smell of unburt fuel is very present however. I tried advancing the timing bout 1/8 turn and helped a little at idle but not under load. I have a pile of parts to freshen things up since i dont know the true mileage of the truck. New timing chain, lift pump, gaskets and hoses. Glow plugs, relay, ect.

2INSANE inbox me regaurding the injectors, if a lightly used set is less expensive than remans, i may be in on what you have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks