• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2/6.5l Turbo kits

NormB

MAN. You can buy an entire 6.5L turbo drive train for about HALF what they're asking.

Would be great to see performance/dynamometer testing results.

Lazboytt

Sounds kind of high for the price they are asking. I don’t remember the name but there is a company that made them for the military Hummers and you still can get it from them I thought the price was about 3000 for a 6.5 complete set which is a well-known company I just can’t think of the name for the life of me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can understand wanting to get their R&D money back. But is 50 Horsepower worth $4K? If I lived at higher elevations I could see a need for one. But not at that price. With so many trucks coming out maybe another company will produce one also. Nothing better than competition.

rcamacho

I can understand wanting to get their R&D money back. But is 50 Horsepower worth $4K? If I lived at higher elevations I could see a need for one. But not at that price. With so many trucks coming out maybe another company will produce one also. Nothing better than competition.
I would not mind putting a turbo on my 6.2 in the interim but not at that cost.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not mind putting a turbo on my 6.2 in the interim but not at that cost. I installed a banks kit on my Civi 1982 GMC K2500 twenty five years ago. Although it works I was and still am disappointed with it. It did increase performance. But no where near enough to justify the cost. Maybe after all these years I have gotten my moneys worth from it. Who knows. But I would be afraid I would be in the same boat turboing my 998. I have drove a few Humvees with the 6.5 turbo and 4 speed. Yes they are more powerful but not by much. And not enough to justify that kind of money. The "cool factor" is not high enough to drop 4K.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To swap in a 6.5 would be 2-3k plus lifting the vehicle and changing the doghouse.

To swap in a set of 6.5 heads and turbo setup with oil pump and such would cost 1-2K.

I'm working on something similar to the head swap, but the HUMMV is a PIA to find space for the turbo unit itself.

Perhaps a group order might bring the price down.

BTW, it is 4-5K NOT 4K. You need to read the small print.

T

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just called the gentleman in charge and spoke at length with him. I got permission to post our conversation.

Unit is not yet ready for sale...still in manufacturing development awaiting final exhaust manifold casting production. He wants solid exhaust to support heavy turbo unit, not a welded pipe manifold. He anticipates another 9 months to 1 year.

Unit will not remotely resemble a Turbo 6.5

Turbo will come up on side of engine, so doghouse is reusable. He is aware of space constraints unique to HMMWV.

No need to raise HMMWV body 1.5-2 inches in order to accommodate taller 6.5 Turbo unit and manifold.

Unit will be 8-9.5 PSI to avoid blowing out the engine BUT he will work to customize [for those who want higher boost or water injection.]

He does not know if his unit will interfere with Red Dot A/C compressor placement.

He has worked with other HMMWV suppliers in the past.

He seems to want to get this done right.

He is aware of this forum so I asked him to post here.

Best,

T

Last edited:

Humveeholic

I just started looking into turbo options for the 6.2L. Can someone confirm that the turbo exhaust/intake manifolds from a 6.5L will bolt onto a 6.2L without modification? If so it seems like you’d be able to do a full turbo swap using used 6.5L parts for under $1k without having to swap heads.

JoeJrTheBarber

I hate to sound like a broken record but any hot rod / chassis / engine shop could do a rear mounted turbo setup fairly cheap on one of these trucks.
What does rear mounted mean ? Exactly what it says, as the turbo itself is not mounted under the hood rather more downstream in the exhaust system.
It's alittle more piping but allot less worries about space and packaging. Your intake was remain the same . Doghouse the same. No need for a body lift. etc..

I deleted my stock muffler and plan to run a single or dual turbo rear mounted kit in that new available space.
Stay tuned...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just started looking into turbo options for the 6.2L. Can someone confirm that the turbo exhaust/intake manifolds from a 6.5L will bolt onto a 6.2L without modification? If so it seems like you’d be able to do a full turbo swap using used 6.5L parts for under $1k without having to swap heads.
The Pickup, van, and civilian Hummer exhaust manifolds will bolt onto any 6.2/6.5. From there, that's where things go south.

The injectors are different lengths which causes issues for the passenger manifold depending on the injectors installed. More of an issue with CUCV's.

The intake manifold will not work from a HMMWV/Hummer/Van. This is due to the intake manifold bolts being angled vs square. This necessitates the head swap.

Now, let's clear another angle up. The pickup turbo/intake setup. All of this will bolt onto a 6.2 and 6.5. The problem is the HMMWV tub. The passenger wheelwell and heater core would interfere with this setup. Since the turbo mounts to the passenger side of the engine. The HMMWV/Hummer/Van setup mounts the turbo to the rear of the engine in the intake valley.

An enterprising individual could make use of a very rare banks exhaust manifold that mounts the turbo to the front passenger corner of the engine. I know I saw these on ebay a while back. At $400 for the manifold alone. Then build from there. Another path to consider is using the stock 6.2/6.5 "headers" the HMMWV has and hacking up the passenger manifold. One could easily take a plate of steel and bolt down the header. Then cut the manifold down the centerline and extend it out to the front into a 90*. The two cylinder down tubes could be cut down and dumped into the newly formed tube and welded back up into the "jig". From the 90* weld in a turbo flange. The exhaust outlets from the manifolds could then be tied together with a crossover tube. Then snake the exhaust back down along the passenger manifold. Oil supply from the rear of the block, then a oil drain to the fuel pump plate. The intake could just be a simple top hat to adapt.

This is the path I'm going to take with mine honestly. I've got a set of headers and the ability to make all this happen. (Also have a 6.5 turbo) Just not the time currently.

While I can't justify $4-5K for a turbo kit over just doing an engine swap, I can say that a turbo on a 6.2/6.5 makes it feel like a new engine. Yes, it's only 40-50hp at best. But the low end gains are certainly worth it. These trucks are gear bound, so top end isn't a huge factor in this.

Some other useful 6.2/6.5 turbo info. Keep boost under 12psi. I keep mine at 10psi max. Another thing to consider is the pre-cups/heads are different on the 6.2 vs the 6.5TD. Mismatching them will affect CR.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Pickup, van, and civilian Hummer exhaust manifolds will bolt onto any 6.2/6.5. From there, that's where things go south.

The injectors are different lengths which causes issues for the passenger manifold depending on the injectors installed. More of an issue with CUCV's.

The intake manifold will not work from a HMMWV/Hummer/Van. This is due to the intake manifold bolts being angled vs square. This necessitates the head swap.

Now, let's clear another angle up. The pickup turbo/intake setup. All of this will bolt onto a 6.2 and 6.5. The problem is the HMMWV tub. The passenger wheelwell and heater core would interfere with this setup. Since the turbo mounts to the passenger side of the engine. The HMMWV/Hummer/Van setup mounts the turbo to the rear of the engine in the intake valley.

An enterprising individual could make use of a very rare banks exhaust manifold that mounts the turbo to the front passenger corner of the engine. I know I saw these on ebay a while back. At $400 for the manifold alone. Then build from there. Another path to consider is using the stock 6.2/6.5 "headers" the HMMWV has and hacking up the passenger manifold. One could easily take a plate of steel and bolt down the header. Then cut the manifold down the centerline and extend it out to the front into a 90*. The two cylinder down tubes could be cut down and dumped into the newly formed tube and welded back up into the "jig". From the 90* weld in a turbo flange. The exhaust outlets from the manifolds could then be tied together with a crossover tube. Then snake the exhaust back down along the passenger manifold. Oil supply from the rear of the block, then a oil drain to the fuel pump plate. The intake could just be a simple top hat to adapt.

This is the path I'm going to take with mine honestly. I've got a set of headers and the ability to make all this happen. (Also have a 6.5 turbo) Just not the time currently.

While I can't justify $4-5K for a turbo kit over just doing an engine swap, I can say that a turbo on a 6.2/6.5 makes it feel like a new engine. Yes, it's only 40-50hp at best. But the low end gains are certainly worth it. These trucks are gear bound, so top end isn't a huge factor in this.

Some other useful 6.2/6.5 turbo info. Keep boost under 12psi. I keep mine at 10psi max. Another thing to consider is the pre-cups/heads are different on the 6.2 vs the 6.5TD. Mismatching them will affect CR.
I'm super interested in what you come up with. I know many, like RWH, are strong advocates of 6.5 T Engine swap, but what you have to say sounds well thought out and solid.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just use a Paxton super charger? There is all the room in the world on the passenger side to mount it. Two longer belts to go around the power steering pump and some piping to the intake. Then you can leave the stock exhaust alone and get your 7 to 9 PSI of boost for half the cost and headache.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Why not just use a Paxton super charger? There is all the room in the world on the passenger side to mount it. Two longer belts to go around the power steering pump and some piping to the intake. Then you can leave the stock exhaust alone and get your 7 to 9 PSI of boost for half the cost and headache.
Room for it? Sure.

Run off two of the V belts? Not a chance.

This would be a exercise in futility on the 6.2 or 6.5 due to peak power output. Superchargers only help mid/top end output. At low end they actually cause a parasitic loss. In upwards of 50+hp. When you only make 140hp peak, that's a lot.

If you could cram a lot more fuel and the engine could handle say 400+hp, a supercharger makes more sense. Actually in the Cummins world, there's been a few hybrid supercharged/turbocharged trucks. The reason it "worked" was because the output was in the 1500+ mark. And the supercharger was configured in a fashion to help just at the low end and make up for the large turbo that wouldn't spool fast enough. But many just moved back to compounded turbos after playing with this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks