• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 and bio

Desert Rat

He is and then some. Ken's trying to get me to buy a Banks for each of my 6.2s. If I only had the $$$. It's very interesting watching Ken work with turbos since he does it for a living. Every time I see him in action I'm learning something new. I can't wait for my trucks to get off restriction!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rizzo, As far as the banks goes I'm happy with it's performance. But working on it is a different story. They paid no attention to detail! They didn't chamfer the bolt holes. So you have to line everything up perfect to assemble it. Parts were not deburred and flashing was left on the castings. Quaility of workman ship was very poor! I've overhauled it once, It was dumping oil into tthe exaust.
It does however greatly improve power and milage!

Desert Rat

See?!?!? Ken's a real pro when it comes to turbos. Once I get the $$$ for the Banks' I know where to go to get the professional finishing work done!!! Y'all should see the "little" workshop he has behind his house! It's sooooo sweeeet!!!!!!!!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally burned through the drivers side tank of bio. I got 16.1MPG. That's about 4MPG loss. The engine runs smoother now. I think that the bio probally cleaned the injectors. I still have a tank full on the pass side and i'll run the numbers also. The banks could only pull 8 lbs of boost at WOT. I'll probally use te pass side tank for my commute and put regular diesel or #4 light fuel oil in the drivers side tank for pulling and hauling. I really miss the power!
The company i bought the bio from is opening 3 more stations here in houston. So getting it will be a lot easier! OH and it's $ .32 a gallon cheeper!!!

Timing?

Interesting on the milage drop.Perhaps the higher cetane count of bio would allow more advance over dino.maybe this would get some milage back.
I believe the cold advance switch pushes the timing ahead about 3 degrees? is that right? maybe the cold advance switch could be manually activated when using BIO,then turned off when using regular diesel.
This would save having to tear into the engine when switching fuels...
could this work?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think so. Unless you have a different IP than i do. 3 deg is a pretty big jump for the 6.2. The cold weather high idle only keeps the engine at 900 rpm's untill enought heat is built up for smooth operation. It aslo comes on when the AC is turned on in vehicles with a auto tranny. I have a DB2 IP. My engine is out of a 85 M1010. The reason for the milage drop is there are less BTU's in bio than dino. When i run #4 light fuel oil i can get 23MPG and 13 PSI of boost. I can't rember the #'s i have them at home but #4 is slightly thicker and has a lot mure BTU's than diesel.
I also have the fuel rate turned up for the turbo. "about 1/4 turn"

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting results Ken.

I'm running on unwashed bio in my deuce and notice virtually no difference in MPG's, perhaps a drop from 9-10 to 8-9 during my most recent 2,000 mile trip, with more than half the distance covered on bio/veggie oil.
I have also noticed a slightly lower EGT and boost with biodiesel.
There are differences betwen the 6.2 and the multi, one of course is the combustion process. The hypercycle is a more efficient way to burn the fuel, but would effect all fuels similarily other than the higher oxygen content of the biodiesel, which combined with the hypercycle may help make up for the lower heating value (BTU's).
The 2-3% methanol content in my unwashed bio also helps increase the BTU value.
The heated fuel tank does have an effect on fuel delivery (see post on this elsewhere), but due to a malfunctioning valve, both diesel and bio were heated to about 120-135F during the trip.
I know I'm drifting off the subject of this tread, but the comparison is interesting never the less.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn i agree, the hypercycle process is the neatest thing since sliced bread. I had a chance to go to the MAN plant while in germany last month. I saw a pic on the wall in a hallway of the hypercycle process. Couldn't read it though. I don't speak german.
Do you know how long of a shelflife biodiesel has? I'd like to get some and keep it in a couple of drums for hurricane season.

res0wc18

I have run over 2000 gallons of b99 in my m1009, and 300 gallons in my 06 powerstroke with no issues at all. The only thing to be concerned with is the old injection pumps on the chevy 6.2s. If your rig has sat for a long time like most due before being auctioned chances are that the seals are eventually going to give in to the extreme cleaning of the b99. Just replace the injection pump and i would expect no furthe issues. I got mine from oregon fuel injection. They promote the use of bio. Check it out. The 6.2s love it. Mine starts unbelievably easier with the bio, seriously. Check the video section of the site. Thats my m1009 running b99 in 18 degree weather.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Resowc, interesting site, lots of goodies (oregon fuel injection).

http://www.o-f-i.com/

My homebrewed bio jells up long before 18°F and I wouldn't think of using it below freezing without heating it..... Need to put some store bought stuff in the fridge and see what happens....

res0wc18

Yes they company i get mine from is called whole energy http://www.whole-energy.com quality fuel no issues. I have a block heater in the blazer and i have it set to heat the engine for 3 hours before i get up and its ready to go. The fuel has never gave me concerns, i knew what i was doing when i bought it and knowing that there is some small risks. But i just used it for a couple months then noticed it was very slowly leaking and just replaced the pump and have had no further issues. Its funny though because the cucv injection pumps have a wierd part number on them i had to tell them what it was and they just built the baddest one they could. Heavy duty.

Did you put that knuckle boom on your truck?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heating is the key to successful use of the bio/veggie oil.

About the crane, yes, my truck was an M49A2C fuel tanker when I got it from the USMC more than ten years ago.

superburban

I have a civilian 6.2 j-code that I have been running on SVO (I have a home-made 2-tank kit installed, with a surpluss packing box mk.7 mod.3 as the SVO tank!) for about 10,000 miles. I have had to replace an injector pump or 2, but that was my fault. I was experimenting with how cold I could switch over from diesel to SVO.
I have about 1800 miles on home-brewed biodiesel for my startups and purges, and I have not bothered to change my fuel lines. The only problem I ran into was a leaky return line on the #2 injector. I simply cut the hose about 1" short and reconnected. Problem solved. I honestly cannot tell a difference in power on SVO, bio, or diesel.

res0wc18

I just live for the stuff. less noise and no smell is the real winner for me with my blazer because i like to keep the rear window down or cracked. Got pics of your setup?

parker

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just filled up my youkon at houston biodiesel for $2.99 a gallon. My 6.5 loves the stuff.

bottleworks

cranetruck said:
My homebrewed bio jells up long before 18°F and I wouldn't think of using it below freezing without heating it..... Need to put some store bought stuff in the fridge and see what happens....
You would have better success if you titrated each batch instead of using a set amount of lye. A system that will mix it for 1.5 hrs and retain ~140F during that stage will also help you make better biodiesel.

tsmall07

I just spoke with Bjorn about this over Thanksgiving and he suggested that I run 80% bio and 20% dino. I think that would fix some of the problems with loss of power and even some of the jelling problems at colder temps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks