• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Block Heater Question/Questions?

a68cudas

Hello I just bought a 600 watt Katz block heater for my m1009. Does anyone know which freeze plug i should knock out and install the Heater at? My other question is for anyone with tips on knocking the freeze plug out the easiest way with out damaging the hole? Any one else on here living up north install one on theres? This will be my first time installing a block heater and like i asked what side of block and which plug should i knock out and install this in? Any dos and donts i should know besides whats on the installation instructions i should know? I looked in my manuals for the m1009 and couldnt find anything about block heater installation at on these vehicles so i thought id ask on here hoping someone who has done this before can answer my questions and concerns. Any comments, suggestions and dos and donts all welcome so please feel free to chime in???? Thanks

cucvrus

I only know of one way. That is the messy way. I use the center plug on the drivers side. I use a GM electric block heater. You can drill a hole in the plug after you drain the radiator. I use a drift and punch it in slightly and then all the way after it drains out. I reach up and clamp a vise grip on the plug and pull it out. I pry with the vise grips as a cam and lever. It comes out. Make sure the heating element does not touch anything in the block. That will effect the life of the element. Or do it the fast way drain the radiator or not and just go under there and punch the plug out. I have done it both ways. Do not over tighten the small fastener in the block heater plug. I hope that helps. Oh yea refill the system run it and check for leaks. Good Luck. Be prepared to get dirty.

Skinny

I did mine years ago so I forget which plug, I think it was in the middle of the block. I know alot of people have issues with the Katz. Mine has worked fine since I've owned it. I did clean up the hole with some scotchbrite and I also did torque the fastener outlined in the directions to prevent leaks.

cpf240

Most common seems to be middle plug on drivers side. Also be sure to run several heat/cool cycles of the engine before turning on the block heater. You want to be sure it is not sitting in an air pocket.

Chaski

20151222_121732_resized.jpg

Also be sure to put the heating element in the 12 o'clock position.

I have not had any issues, make sure the freeze plug hole is squeaky clean and that you follow the instructions. The one I installed last gave a torque value for the expanding fastener. Dig up an inch pound torque wrench and use it. Use silicone grease on the o-ring where it seals into the block. I have used Dow Corning 111 with good results. You can get a small packet of mystery brand silicone grease at any parts store for a buck or two. A giant tube of Dow Corning 111 will most likely last you a decade or three.

The picture is of a Zerostart 310-0059 1000 watt heater.

Last edited:

cucvrus

indexgrinch smiling..jpg12 O'clock everyone is asleep in Whoville. Time to pillage and raid the CUCV compound. indexgrinch smiling.jpgMerry Christmas to my Nemesis. This is how he was smiling while I was gone. 006.jpgI installed my block heater while I had the engine out. Not that you want to pull the engine out and invert it. But it was much easier to install this way. 004.jpg001.jpg

cucvrus

007.jpgThere is the picture of the General Motors installed block heater. that is the only type and brand of heater I ever installed.indexgrinch smiling..jpgThat is how happy you will be when the CUCV starts at -10 degrees. It always worked for me anyway.imagesDoG head.jpgWell well Merry Christmas Doghead.

Last edited: