• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Cruising RPM?

CUCVHMMWV

I haven't had any luck finding info on this... but I am trying to figure out what RPM's I need to be at when cruising down the interstate. I'm hoping I can maintain 75 at a reasonable RPM. So I am trying to decide if I need to start looking for a built 700R4 to swap in place of the TH400. I want to keep my CUCV simple by using a turbo'd 6.2, 4.56's, and HMMWV beadlocks with 36" OZ tires - also on a budget! So does anyone have any advice or tips on the matter? Will I NEED an OD to keep the RPM's down? Thanks!

Westech

CPL
well with the set up you have stated the rpm at 75 mph is going to be right aroung 2400-2500. thats fine for a 6.2 to hold up all day long. (that is the 700 had a .76 over drive if I remember and using the 36" tire. so if using the 37" the rpm will be 50 lower give or take a couple.)

CUCVHMMWV

REALLY!?!? SWEET! Someone on Pirate told me it would be more like 3200 which is what made me nervous and inspired this search. It would be great if I didn't have to do any extra parts swapping... since I can't really afford to! :oops: :-D

CUCVHMMWV

Awe... BUZZKILL! :cry: I checked out that link from your thread but didn't notice anything past the final drive ratio chart. With a 2nd look though (thank you) I see that 75 MPH will net 3400 RPM - is no bueno. Looks like I need an OD, which will put me at 2200 RPM when doing 75. Hmm... my question now becomes, manual or auto......

CUCVHMMWV

Yeah that was already stated.... you need a overdrive. With the OD you will be in the 2500 range
Huh? Where? I appreciate your help and guidance, but you stated I would be at 2500 when doing 75 with my setup... oh wait, did you NOT mean MY setup? I guess you meant if I swapped in a 700, I would be ok. I didn't pick that up from what you wrote. I thought you were saying I didn't need an OD in the 1st sentence and then the 2nd sentence just through me off. Wishful reading, maybe? :smile:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, now that that's all cleared up......:roll:

Westech

CPL
You know what CUCV! ITS FRIDAY! I think its been a long week for all of us. :wink: So anyway.. Yeah if you want to go faster then 60 in the 1008's type your best bet is a 700R4. The best thing to do is get a parts truck/blazer that had the diesel and 700 combo. You can get all the parts to make the swap a snap, and most of the time you can get one of the parts trucks cheap! It would be worth 1000 bucks to me to get the parts to do it. The thing that people forget is the TV cable bracket that hooks to the injection pump. It runs under the intake and hooks up by the vacuum pump. You would be able to get all the controls for the TQ converter also and not play the guessing game like some people here.

armytruck63

Used this tool for a stock deuce with 9.00-20 tires and came up with this remarkably accurate result:
RatioTire HeightSpeedAuto*AOD*Manual*5 Speed** Auto = D in an AOD
* AOD is calculated at .70 transmission ratio
* manual = 4th in a 5 speed
* 5 speed is calculated at .80 transmission ratio

CUCVHMMWV

Caution: RANT!

You know what CUCV! ITS FRIDAY! I think its been a long week for all of us. :wink: So anyway.. Yeah if you want to go faster then 60 in the 1008's type your best bet is a 700R4. The best thing to do is get a parts truck/blazer that had the diesel and 700 combo. You can get all the parts to make the swap a snap, and most of the time you can get one of the parts trucks cheap! It would be worth 1000 bucks to me to get the parts to do it. The thing that people forget is the TV cable bracket that hooks to the injection pump. It runs under the intake and hooks up by the vacuum pump. You would be able to get all the controls for the TQ converter also and not play the guessing game like some people here.
AMEN BROTHER! :grin: Thanks! I have been overwhelmed trying to figure out all the options I have to fix up this truck, without feeling like too much of a NEWB! :oops: I have a complete '83 donor diesel truck with a built 700, the problem is it is a 2WD unit, so I have been trying to locate info on setting that trans up to work for me. Of course, I find new issues to overcome - it is a sub '87 model so perhaps does not have all the updates to make it a viable trans... until that setback, I considered using a divorced, twin-stick NP205 I found, but the low-range blows on a 205. The NP208 has hit or miss "reviews". When searching on strong points of the 6.2 and rebuilds, I find that I should look for an '89+ or not bother! AGGH! Now I am considering a wrecked '93 Chevy or Dodge to swap the diesel, NV4500, and whatever t-case from. I have made some progress too though! Located a rolling dually chassis with a rebuilt T400, 205, and of course the dually axles to mount the M998 wheels onto for that wide stance to better support my camper. So get this... I now have a butt-load of parts to sell; a '76 CJ-5, '93 Wrangler, '99 VehiCROSS, '83 3/4 ton donor, '84 CUCV, dually chassis, '78 Cherokee parts rig for the CJ - all that and only 2 rigs actually run... and... I need to sell both of those to complete the CUCV! HAHA! Ahhh.... projects. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks