• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 diesel overcharging

6.2Patriot86

I just bought a 1986 M1009 Blazer, and I can't figure out why I keep boiling the front battery, I had the driver side alternator rebuilt, but the passenger side is original as far as I know, does it have a regulator stuck open oris the regulator in my alternator, any information would be appreciated, and if anyone knows where I can get a book on the system I would appreciate that also.

Keith_J

Voltage regulator is defective. Check for battery voltage at #2 connection. Could be an open fusible link.

The #1 connection on the internal regulator is from the idiot light so it should be 0 volts with key off, 12 volts or so key on. #2 should always have 12 volts on the driver's side alternator.

Last edited:

6.2Patriot86

Voltage regulator is defective. Check for battery voltage at #2 connection. Could be an open fusible link.

The #1 connection on the internal regulator is from the idiot light so it should be 0 volts with key off, 12 volts or so key on. #2 should always have 12 volts on the driver's side alternator.
Where is the regulator located?

6.2Patriot86

Couldn't it also be the alternator relay? And do you happen to know where that would be located?

Keith_J

The regulator is in the alternator. The driver side alternator does not have a relay, it is switched with the key switch through the alternator 1 light on the dash.

Originally, the 27SI regulator was supposed to default to the battery voltage if the sense voltage was zero but with offshore production of all the new parts, it might not be correct.

Using the main battery connection for voltage sense decreases alternator output and can lead to undercharged batteries.

Last edited:

6.2Patriot86

The regulator is in the alternator. The driver side alternator does not have a relay, it is switched with the key switch through the alternator 1 light on the dash.

Originally, the 27SI regulator was supposed to default to the battery voltage if the sense voltage was zero but with offshore production of all the new parts, it might not be correct.

Using the main battery connection for voltage sense decreases alternator output and can lead to undercharged batteries.
So say theoretically the shop i originally took it to put a 24v alternator on the driver's side would that be the cause of my overload?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks