• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 engine won't start got fuel through pump no fuel at injector?

Triple C

When you say fuel through pump are you talking injector pump or lift pump? If it is your injector pump, how do you know you are getting fuel through it? I assume you have cracked an injector line since you say no fuel to injector?

Triple C

What led to the initial problem? Start with the simple stuff first. If you haven't changed the filter lately or if there has been a change in where you buy your fuel, change the filter. This is a DB2 pump correct? If it is, and I remember correctly, you have a fuel return line coming off that IP, you might pull it and energise your lift pump. That will tell you if your shutoff solenoid is functioning. I will pm you some detailed diagnostics. It could take up too much room here.

Triple C

Since you don't know the truck definately start with the easy stuff. I would start with pulling the line between the filter and the IP. Put the end of the line in a clear bottle and run some fuel into it by energizing the lift pump. Watch for fuel flow etc. That will tell you what your fuel looks like and how the flow is. I also sent you a pm with more info, chances are, if it started right up to load, it is a fuel delivery issue, not an IP issue. Good luck and keep us posted.

papakb

Make sure the #54 wire is connected to the IP and gets 24v when the ignition switch is turned on. If it isn't the engine positively will not start. This is one of the simplest security measures.

Kurt

4x4Guy

Finally got it started but it took a while to get all of the air out. Runs fine and starts right up after shut off but after sitting a few hours has the same issue again. Tried finding leaks but so far not clear where the air is getting into the fuel lines. At first it was hard for me to believe it could be air but it was, I had drained the batteries completely just to getfuel to the injector (Is it possible that much air could be in the linesfrom a bad hose clamp?) Thank you all for input I will update with more info once I find the leak it may help someone else in the future.
Sam

5moker

I have read if it is electrical, clean it it, if it is rubber replace it. That is my situation. I AM NEW TO TO THE MV PROCESSES! I am replacing the fuel lines to b100 lines and cleaning all electrical connections. CUCV bible. Mine has 19 k miles, but has to be treated as a 30 y/o vehicle. hope this helps. I live next to a hardware store and am working slowly at my m1009 (first purchase). I purchased a biodiesel kit, and know the regional manager of a major fast food restraunt business. I am goin off grid eventually with generator and 5 ton truck for wvo collection. First part is very important! replace rubber,and clean electrical!!! Hope that helps. Glow plugs have been an issue for me. Make sure you run ac delco 60g plugs (even if they are not now). They don't swell and will save you hours later. Also resistor bypass is an important part.

dilvoy

The fuel lift pump may be bad is loosing it's siphon and letting the fuel drain back towards the fuel tank. It is a pain to change, but on an older vehicle it is good to do it so you can get rid of the potential for a common and pesky problem.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
make sure you are getting 24v on the fuel cut off at the IJ Pump, I had an intermittent issue on a truck where it would not work at times, if I wiggled the connection it would
work....you will get a no fuel condition. Also, open up the bleed valve on the fuel filter and crank...should flow, alot...use a rag over it. If no fuel at the filter then a clogged filter or bad fuel pump. If the Fuel cut off is bad, you can just replace it while in the truck, just find an old used IJ pump from someone and take off and swap the top, it has the Cold advance in there too....simple fix.

4x4Guy

Well sorted out the fuel and now changed the bad glow plugs however the plugs I was sold fried in 2 days. Checked the plugs and they say rated up to 17.5 volts. Checked on many other listings from different sources all are rated up to 20.5 volts. I am getting 23.5 volts through all glow plug connectors so my question is are there issues with under rated voltage if so I am surprised to see these plugs listed with NSN #'s for a 24V system knowing they are only rated up to 20.5V. Also at what point is the glow plug supposed to stop recieving voltage so it stops itself from burning out? I am trying to make sure I don't dump another set if I have a problem I am unaware of but so far I guessed the new ones burned out because they were rated at only 17.5 volts. Any thoughts?

Volvo740turbo

Well sorted out the fuel and now changed the bad glow plugs however the plugs I was sold fried in 2 days. Checked the plugs and they say rated up to 17.5 volts. Checked on many other listings from different sources all are rated up to 20.5 volts. I am getting 23.5 volts through all glow plug connectors so my question is are there issues with under rated voltage if so I am surprised to see these plugs listed with NSN #'s for a 24V system knowing they are only rated up to 20.5V. Also at what point is the glow plug supposed to stop recieving voltage so it stops itself from burning out? I am trying to make sure I don't dump another set if I have a problem I am unaware of but so far I guessed the new ones burned out because they were rated at only 17.5 volts. Any thoughts?
Bypass resistor...i know this is old...gp relay will probably go out soon after so change that too.....gp should not see 20v that I'm aware of since they are 12v

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bypass resistor...i know this is old...gp relay will probably go out soon after so change that too.....gp should not see 20v that I'm aware of since they are 12v
They are not 12 volt glow plugs and if they are they're the wrong ones. CUCV uses 12 Volt, HMMWV uses 24V. 4x4guy, make sure you get the self regulating type equivalent of AC Delco 15G.
Set of 8 glow plugs for the HMMWV 6.2L and 6.5L engines. P/N AC15G, 5614017, military part 12338771. NSN 2920011883863.

0.8 lb [HR][/HR] Service tip:
A working glow plug should draw approximately 12 - 15 amps at 24 volts DC. Use extreme caution when testing the glow plugs as the tip will immediately become very hot on a working plug.

It's possible your protective control box is kaput causing your glow plugs to stay energized. Watch your voltage meter when you turn your start switch to run, it should jump down quite a bit for about 5-10 seconds, then jump back up a little, if it stays down, your glow plugs are still energized and probably your PCB is messed up. Which box do you have?

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

They are not 12 volt glow plugs and if they are they're the wrong ones. CUCV uses 12 Volt, HMMWV uses 24V. 4x4guy, make sure you get the self regulating type equivalent of AC Delco 15G.
Set of 8 glow plugs for the HMMWV 6.2L and 6.5L engines. P/N AC15G, 5614017, military part 12338771. NSN 2920011883863.

0.8 lb [HR][/HR] Service tip:
A working glow plug should draw approximately 12 - 15 amps at 24 volts DC. Use extreme caution when testing the glow plugs as the tip will immediately become very hot on a working plug.

It's possible your protective control box is kaput causing your glow plugs to stay energized. Watch your voltage meter when you turn your start switch to run, it should jump down quite a bit for about 5-10 seconds, then jump back up a little, if it stays down, your glow plugs are still energized and probably your PCB is messed up. Which box do you have?

I thought he was talking about the cucv

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks