• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 fluid filled harmonic balancer

cucvrus

What is the great advantage? Just asking. I am putting 2 6.2 diesel engines together at this time and always use the same ones
I removed from the bad engine core I started with. Does it do something different? I never replaced one yet. Never had any reason. These are all research questions. Have a great day.

Skinny

It probably does a better job at balancing the power pulses over a traditional rubber one. I think the major issue with the factory one is when they get old the outer shell spins because of the dry rotted material. I have a China made AC Delco unit on mine for a few years now with no issues. I plan on replacing the one on my M1010 motor with a new one when I pull the engine out even though it has only 3600 miles on it.

cucvrus

So the answer is change it if it needs changed and run it till it is a problem. i carefully check out all my CUCV's as you can see. So I will continue to run mine till???? And then put another used one on that I saved from the many engines that I scrapped. HMMWV ones appear to be the same thing. Am I correct.

cpf240

My understanding is that the main concern is that a bad balancer / dampener can lead to a broken crank. When I got my truck, the rubber on the balancer / dampener had some cracks and bulges in it, so it got replaced, along with the front seal. I don't remember the brand I used, but I believe it was made in Australia, and bought from O'Rielly Auto Parts.

MarcusOReallyus

I checked at Summit parts. The fluid versions are 8 to 10 times more expensive than the standard ones. They are made for racing.

Does anyone really need one? Given the millions of miles driven by 6.2s with the standard damper, I can't see why anyone who is NOT racing would even think about spending that kind of coin.

But hey, if you have money to burn....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its a buy once and done thing. They don't have rubber to go bad and potentially cause issues. Some O.E. stuff lasts the estimated 100k miles, some don't. The reviews I've seen on the diesel place are all positive, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

cucvrus

They are made for racing.
Well there you have. Fair enough. I know that is what we all need a $400, Harmonic balancer on our Racing 6.2 diesel engine. We can keep all 135 horses in a straight balanced line and harmonically balanced.
I wonder if I need that? NOT. I want something that gives me a little more bang for the buck$. Just not sure what. I'll just keep the $$.

ranger1950

Fluidampr makes a HB for the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. I put one on my M1009 and it really smoothed the vibration. If you don't have the coin for the Fluidampr then get the AC Delco part. They are available from Rockauto and will run you about $120. I would not use the Dorman. The AC part has 7mm of rubber between the inner and outer hubs. The Dorman only 4mm. Which means they are not to spec. Or do nothing and drive nervously.

cucvrus

DSCF6384.jpgI'm not nervous. I removed a few looked at them and reinstalled them. Once I tried beating one apart that looked bad. Not doing it again. I was tired before someone else actually got it to come apart with a sledge hammer. If it wobbles yes. To just change it? NO. Not here. Do as you wish. Happy Holidays. But for $400. I would get much happier results from a set of Trucklite LED headlamps. I know that the Dorman oil cooler lines fit a lot better then the last set of AC Delco's I bought.

MarcusOReallyus

I know that is what we all need a $400, Harmonic balancer on our Racing 6.2 diesel engine. We can keep all 135 horses in a straight balanced line and harmonically balanced.
There ya go! I'm going to go get one right now! It will go great with my spoiler! :jumpin:

:mrgreen:

I know that the Dorman oil cooler lines fit a lot better then the last set of AC Delco's I bought.
Yeah, but Dorman's quality is all over the map. I've heard great things about their cooler lines, but I recently replaced springs on another vehicle, and had my hands on the OEM shackle, the Dorman replacement, and a competing brand (can't remember the name now! aua). The competing brand (which I used) looked like it came off the same assembly line as the OEM. The Dorman was thinner metal and less welding. Cheesy looking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks