• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 get new lungs with the turbo swap and cold air intake from S&B

Southern Off Road

This is a S&B airbox for an 92-00 6.5 diesel. It worked out perfect with just a little help from a bracket to help support the box since the inner fenders are a little bit different in shape. I have been doing some research and for your money this is diffently the best buy for your bucks over all the other manufactures.

Attachments

Southern Off Road

I have a 88 Suburan with good cold A/C so i am not worried about that. I have heat thats all that matter. My cucv is for the ulimate weekend rig and river rides. I bought 2 of the smallest compact batteries with 1000 cca each and made custom brackets for both of the batteries to sit on the orignal front battery tray and ran new battery connectors and cables.

francisf16

Looks good, are you happy with the power increase and did you have any specific struggles bolting up the 6.5 turbo to the 6.2? This is next for my M1009.

chevyCUCV

What turbo are you running?
And this is a m1008?

And on another site, a 6.2 boosted 40 psi with the stock bottom end, no girdle. All the rods bent but the crank/webs survived.

Southern Off Road

I am running the stock 6.5 turbo (borg warner) and have the waste gate set to open at 8 psi, so it dont destroy the motor. If u dont drive the truck like u stole it will last just fine. They start breaking webbing when u run 15 psi and think u have a 10sec drag truck.

Southern Off Road

Looks good, are you happy with the power increase and did you have any specific struggles bolting up the 6.5 turbo to the 6.2? This is next for my M1009.
Thanks much, there is a good difference in power now( it will actually get out of the way of its own shadow). And i have not turned the fuel up any yet because i do not have a pyrometer guage yet. The only thing i had problems with is setting the exhaust manifolds in place because it is such a tight squeeze, u have to place the bolts in the manifolds before u slide it in between the frame well. I ordered a 6.5 Turbo kit off ebay for $500 and it was well worth it then spending almost $2000 on a dang banks kit. Its well worth it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What turbo are you running?
And this is a m1008?

And on another site, a 6.2 boosted 40 psi with the stock bottom end, no girdle. All the rods bent but the crank/webs survived.
Not to pick on you, but I highly doubt a originally NA 22:1 CR diesel would have only had rod damage with that sort of boost.

KevinPD

Sothern Off Roads Turbo Install

I Am New to this Internet posting and stuff but really do appreciate all the info you guys have avail. This Past Oct. I used some of my student loan and am the proud owner of an M1009 (12/85 mfg date). Not many problems yet, seems to have come from a very silty/dusty environment, possibly Mid-West? A tilt steering column from a 86 Suburban out of Laconia,NH cured the intermittent light failure upon High/Low beam. I am seriously considering a turbo install also. Did your install use both exhaust manifold outputs or just the passenger side output? The Donor vehicle that I am cosidering is a 2001 GMC Panel Van that came into a local(for me..) junkyard with bottom end damage. It has a Modified Intake where both heads feed from a turbo that is mounted above the rear of the, right where the regular intake manifold is. It looks like both exhausts feed into the rear mounted turbo intake, the intakes are mounted right on the tops of the heads themselves.. The junkyard offered me the whole thing as a rebuildable core for 500. The kit that you installed, how much time did it take? I am a student at the local(Manchester) community college to get my automotive certificate in fall of 2012. A classmate has a 98 F350 Ext. cab 8' bed with a Cummins in it and a 6" dia. stack up through the bed and has been willing to help me with my install of whatever I get when we go back classes later on this month. Do you still have the stock(Mil.) dash? Where did you mount the boost gage and the press. gages? I would be very interested in how your oil handles the extra demand of turbo usage. Did you have any problems with oil consumption b4 the install?

francisf16

Is there a supplier for the turbo kit or was it just all together on eBay. I would be interested if there's a place to get the kit.