• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 gets extremly loud after load

Mohawk Dave

Hey SS,

My 6.2 starts up and humms a good song, but sometimes when I put it under load, it starts being REAL LOUD. it sounds like a dang Peterbuilt idling. CLACK-CLACK-CLACK-CLACK-CLACK

It's not as if a piston is flying around or anything, but, idk, timing???

I can shut her down and restart and sometimes it will go away, sometimes it wont. Sometimes it does it on the road, and sometimes it doesn't.

Fresh diesel fuel, no water in it, new fuel filter. Ideas???

I will videotape it and post if needed.

Thanks,

Dave

Mohawk Dave

Found this on another forum.

"A bad injector could be the problem,dumping too much fuel into a cylinder."

Thoughts?

Thanks, Dave

Mohawk Dave

Found this at Dieselplace.com also

"could be a stuck injector too, that sounds the same like you lost a bearing.

crack the fuellines one by one with the mill idling, if the banging disappears then that's the critter causing it."

Will do this tomorrow. Ideas/thoughts?

Thanks-Dave

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder if there is something going amuck with the cold advance in the IP or the wires that feed it. I can certainly tell a difference on my Oh-8 when the cold advance shuts down, gets real quiet. As I understand it, there is a temp switch in the pass cylider head that controls this function. I don't know if the switch goes open or closed when the engine reacehes the correct temperature.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The switch opens when hot, cutting the power to the solenoid.

Normally closed when cold.

Mohawk Dave

ok, so I went to Diesel Injection Services in San Bernardino today, and Lou, a very wise, long in the tooth and experienced diesel guru heard it and immediately said "Your timing is advanced." I shut it down and he told me to look at the set marks on the IP versus the block. He stated the IP would be to the right, which we could plainly see also. So I climbed in the bay and the IP was about 5/64 inch to the right.

I did as he said and loosened the 3 15mm bolt/nuts WITH THE ENGINE OFF-(He said you could seize it while doing it running, not like a gasser), set the marks up with eachother and now I'm golden.

I asked him why the Navy would have advanced the timing, and he said it is a common misconception that more advance=more power, but obviously this was too much, and with it advanced it sounds extremly DIESEL-y.

He also stated that as the timing chain wears out and stretches, you can turn the IP to the right (advance) to counter this. (Only for so long obviously)

Anyways, thought I'd share this in case anyone needs to know.

Here's the shops place page from google. Diesel Injection Services

Best wishes,

Dave

Mohawk Dave

Did you get alternator sorted out?
I did. I rebuilt both as you know and oddly enough, after a few miles they started working as they should. The only thing we can come up with is the brushes had to make better contact. Maybe there was some kind of coating on them? This is still an unsolved mystery. To err on the side of caution, I rechecked ALL my ground and positives, took them apart, resanded, new star washers, dialectic grease and re-installed. No problems. I've been DD'ing it since, with correct amps all day long.

-Dave

PropDr

Wow that is weird, but I'm glad to hear that they are working. Was their grease on the slip rings where the brushes ride?

I'm curious about how much your fuel economy will change since you backed the timing down. I have a feeling it will go down slightly.

Mohawk Dave

Grease, no, I was not using any when rebuilding, and I had clean hands, tools, and AO.

As far as MPGs go, time will tell.

-Dave

PropDr

an after thought...............

A trick that a old timer taught me to seat brushes on generators and starters.. After installing the new brushes in the brush holder use double sided tape to stick a strip of sand paper to the slip rings. Then install the rotor into just the back housing and remove the temporary brush retainer pin. Rotate rotor until brushes are fully arced to match slip rings. disassemble, remove sand paper clean slip rings with acetone blow out housing and continue rebuild as normal.

Mohawk Dave

PropDr,

Makes sense. I think this is more or less what it did by itself, because there is no other explanation. The trucks electrical is very good and as you know I have PM'd the whole dang thing. Thanks for the input and thanks for the help the other day. If I can ever return the favor, don't hesitate to ask.

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks