• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 IP timing

helobravo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've searched using key words and cannot find the specifics I am looking for. I looked in all the TMs also.
I am sure I've missed something along the way, but I am wasting time chasing my tail.
That being said, here's the issue:
I am replacing my engine with a new to me 6.2 out of another M1009.
The engine I bought is a long block, so I will be putting my externals, IP, etc. on it.
I cannot find instructions for timing the IP or lining up the gears.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_3555.jpg

TGP (IL)

Those two gears appear to be correct.
The IP drive tang goes in the round hole on the gear.
The bolts on the IP gear only line up one way.
Set the mark on the IP flange with the mark on the gear cover
And lock the pump down.
Tom

richingalveston

you rotate the motor so that the mark on the camshaft gear is up, The ip gear has a mark that then lines up with the camshaft mark. I thought the ip has a peg that goes in the oblong hole in the ip gear. With the ip placed in the correct hole on the IP gear and all the marks lining up, you cannot get the timing wrong.
in the picture you have the gears lined up correctly. The camshaft gear and crank gear marks should already line up since the motor has not been taken apart that far.
The timing gear and crank shaft gear have a mark, those marks have to line to time the valves.

the timing gear also has a round hole that the ip can go in but I am pretty sure the bolts don't line up when in the round hole, my memory could be lagging. when using the oblong hole in the ip gear the peg fits and the bolts line up. if you get the peg in the wrong hole your timing will be wrong but nothing bad will happen. if the camshaft and crank gears are not lined up then you get bent valves

Barrman

I walked over to my GEP build project just to check before I answered. I only have a slotted hole in the top gear for the IP. I went and looked at some of my 6.2 and GM 6.5 gears. Different part numbers but, they have a round hole and a slotted hole. Either gear, the slotted hole is always lined up with the little dot on the gear. So, the tab on the IP shaft should be on the bottom when you install it.

sandcobra164

I second that it can only go in the "correct" slot but after recently doing an injection pump swap I'll toss this out. Use a piece of halfmoon shaped cardboard to insert the bolts while you start the threads. Use a socket extension and run all the bolts down hand tight without a ratchet. If you tighten the first bolt you started down you won't get past about 1/2 a turn of the crankshaft before it binds. They made the job "Sandcobra164" proof even if the engine is already installed.

richingalveston

When the water pump is installed i put a large magnet on my long socket so it holds the bolt. IF you drop the bolt then most likely it will get stuck around the timing gears and will have to remove timing cover. if you are lucky it makes it to the oil pan and you would have to remove the pan to retrieve it. but yes, get all the bolts started before tightening. I also use lock tight on these bolts.
since your water pump is not installed you should not have to worry to much about dropping a bolt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks