• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 locked up

berniea

I have a 85 m1008 with 41000 miles on the od and untill monday I used it as a dd. I drove it to work [ran great] was going to go home and the thing had locked up. I can't figure out what happened but that is besides the point I have a decision to make gas or diesel any thoughts on the subject. And YES it has oil in it. It was changed 2 weeks ago and still full.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What noises did it make? Quit while driving? Idleing? On startup?

I have one with a broken crankshaft that still runs. Makes ALOT of noise but still runs.

What are your long terms plans for it?

There are good take-out diesels available for around $600 or so.

Alot of things to change for a repower. Many people have done it though.

Last edited:

berniea

No electric fuel pump. It was running great when i shut it down no indication that anything was wrong but when I wen't to start it I knew what had happened by the sound the starter made on the flywheel [ loud bang ] locked up

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may just be the starter bendix stuck on the flywheel. They have been know to do that.

Pull the starter and try to turn the crank with a socket and wrench

Alot of things to check before you sign the Death Certificate.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As was mentioned, I would remove the starter and then try to turn the engine over by hand or with a pry bar on the flexplate. Besides that, the easiest and probably lest costly route is a 6.2 6/5 repower.

Stonepicker1

I would pull the inspection cover off the trans and see if starter is still engaged. If not pull all the glow plugs, put a socket with breaker bar on the front of the crankshaft nut and try to turn the engine over(counter clockwise and clockwise) and see what happens.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the FREE technicasl manuals for the truck?

Spend some time in the CUCV forum and read the Wiki page and the Stickies.

Make sure you read up on the Doghead Relay Upgrade. It may save you some money.

Just about every issue with a CUCV has been discussed multiple times. We have been there done that and a few of use even have t-shirts...:grin:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Think you are a long way from pulling the pan then the motor, No noise, ran great, shut off, no start, hum. NO REASON to think the motor locked sitting NOT running, unless a MAJOR water leak into a cylinder, not likley, though even that is fixable

Last edited:

berniea

just a little up date. finely got a chance to look at the truck and found out it blew a head gasket and hydro locked while sitting. so i am going to redo the top end and then it is getting a turbo just because i got a complete 6.5 with a broken crank for next to nothing. the only question i have is do i use the 6.5 head gaskets or the 6.2?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks