• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 M1009 making oil

Geo James

My 1986 6.2 M1009 is making oil. I had a tractor that did it once from the lift pump diaphragm going bad. Is this the only source on the 6.2 or could it be on the high pressure side?

Thank you for any help .I just changed the lift pump about 3 years ago.

Thank again,
James

Geo James

Not a common problem. Crack the drain plug and witness what comes out. It should be easy to rule out water.
I guess I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. It is fuel in the oil, causing the level to be inches above full. It was a ringpower mechanic that I asked back when I had this issue with a tractor, that said they call it making oil and told me to change the lift pump. I'm going to do the same on my cucv. I just wanted to make sure it couldn't be the high pressure side causing it. The truck has sat for a year, due to my bypass surgery and subsequent stroke. It was fine when parked, so I'm figuring checkvalve and or diagram failure in lift pump while sitting caused siphoning into oil.
Anyway, probably way more information than yall wanted. Lol

Time for new lift pump!

Thank you all for the help,
James

nyoffroad

I guess I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. It is fuel in the oil, causing the level to be inches above full. It was a ringpower mechanic that I asked back when I had this issue with a tractor, that said they call it making oil and told me to change the lift pump. I'm going to do the same on my cucv. I just wanted to make sure it couldn't be the high pressure side causing it. The truck has sat for a year, due to my bypass surgery and subsequent stroke. It was fine when parked, so I'm figuring checkvalve and or diagram failure in lift pump while sitting caused siphoning into oil.
Anyway, probably way more information than yall wanted. Lol

Time for new lift pump!

Thank you all for the help,
James
Yup, time for a new pump. This has been covered many times in CUCVRUS threads, I'd look them up and get a good look at the pump you want and the one that looks like it but doesn't work well.
Also, you are going to change the oil right?

Geo James

Yup, time for a new pump. This has been covered many times in CUCVRUS threads, I'd look them up and get a good look at the pump you want and the one that looks like it but doesn't work well.
Also, you are going to change the oil right?
Yes oil change for sure as the viscosity isn't quite up to spec. 😀

Didn't realize there are two different pumps available. Maybe that's why the last one only lasted 3 years. I will for sure do a deep dive in the archive search to see the difference in the two. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Again thanks,
James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks