• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 M1009 misses

bigmech

My truck misses sometimes. Only under load. Just like a gas engine with a bad plug wire. It idles fine and sometimes runs great. But half the time it misses under load? Any ideas?

rnd-motorsports

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? or maybe check fuel lines from tank to pump things like that if it stumbles only under load or high rpm I would look at fuel presure maybe sucking air from somewhere! or pump going south 2cents

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your fuel filter backing plate is leaking air would be my guess.

You can get a new one on Ebay for about $75 shipped with filter.

Solved ALL SORTS of running issues with mine. Especially hard starting. Difficult to start a vehicle that's not getting solid fuel delivery.

Have someone rev the engine with the hood open with you standing next to where the fuel filter is. You might even here a slight 'whistle' type of noise. But I'd bet money you have an air leak, probably in the fuel filter backing plate.

Took me about an hour to replace mine. I also have an electric fuel pump inline to the fuel line before the fuel filter, so bleeding mine is as simple as opening the valve on the fuel filter, turn the truck on, wait for it to spurt fuel, close the valve, turn the truck off. Start the truck. That's it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/36435-my-cucv-spin-fuel-filter-mod-2.html#post700836

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Your fuel filter backing plate is leaking air would be my guess.

You can get a new one on Ebay for about $75 shipped with filter.

Solved ALL SORTS of running issues with mine. Especially hard starting. Difficult to start a vehicle that's not getting solid fuel delivery.

Have someone rev the engine with the hood open with you standing next to where the fuel filter is. You might even here a slight 'whistle' type of noise. But I'd bet money you have an air leak, probably in the fuel filter backing plate.

Took me about an hour to replace mine. I also have an electric fuel pump inline to the fuel line before the fuel filter, so bleeding mine is as simple as opening the valve on the fuel filter, turn the truck on, wait for it to spurt fuel, close the valve, turn the truck off. Start the truck. That's it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/36435-my-cucv-spin-fuel-filter-mod-2.html#post700836

a slight 'whistle' ????? i hear something going at 55-60 could this be the same issue? i have no fuel leeking also

bigmech

Just changed the filter . still doing it. I can't find anything that might be leaking at the filter. I'm going to pressurize the fuel lines from the filter back to hopefully find a leak. I have a 93 1/2 to airforce K1500 with a 6.2 that does the same thing just not as bad. I live just north of potterville.

ODdave

Just wondered cause I keep most of my trucks out that way (off of m-50/vermontville intersection) and im curious to meet my people around who are into this stuff, other than L Hoxie. Got some 6.2 suff around too...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The aluminum BACKING PLATE starts to leak air over the years. It might make a whistle sound at highway speeds.

That's why I suggested swapping out the whole bracket. Again, you can find them on ebay. about $75 shipped.

You can crack a fuel line at the injector and have someone else turn it over. IF there is any air in THAT line, it should disappear after fuel squirts out at the injector(NOTE:FUEL IS UNDER PRESSURE). But I'd still bet money you are having issues with air in the fuel that's entering at the fuel filter backing plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks