• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 no fuel at filter housing

trooper632

Picked up a cucv from GL, it was drained of fluids and the fuel filter was missing also. Put 5 gallons of diesel in and a new fuel filter, removed the pink pump wire, and opened bleeder on filter housing. Cranked and cranked but no fuel getting to filter housing. Should I try to pressurize the tank, or just replace the manual fuel pump. I'm thinking the fuel pump is no good but is there something else I can try before replacing it, it is a PITA to get back on just right.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm far from an expert on these trucks, but I would try either pushing fuel from the tank or pulling with a vacuum pump. I don't think the short throw of the mechanical fuel pump can pull fuel through completely drained lines.

Skinny

It should have no issues priming the system with empty lines. I would double check the filter sock in the tank to make sure it isn't clogged. Since you are starting with a new truck, I would recommend changing out all flex lines with new rubber just to be sure and avoid the system bleeding down which will give you so many problems down the road. This way you have a known good system. I would also spend the $25 and put a new AC Delco pump on the system. If you really have disposable income, a good spin on filter assembly would be the next best upgrade. The FM100 or something comparable would also give you the option with a manual primer avoiding having to crank the engine to prime. I've emptied my fuel system a fuel different times and it gives me absolutely no issue restarting after priming. You can also put an electric pump on it. Some members will vouch for that being the best upgrade, I personally do not think so but it will help you in priming. Just be aware that it can also mask other issues as well like leaky lines or a failing IP.

Good luck with it! Spend the time up front on the fuel system repairs and it will never give you problems down the road.

trooper632

I've had numerous cucv's, but this is the first where I get no fuel at the fuel filter so I was guessing it was a manual fuel pump problem. Was just trying to see what people thought the reason was for no fuel pumping to the filter.

K9Vic

You can prime the system by using compressed air at about 4psi on the return line at the top of the IP. Remove the rubber line from the IP leaving it attached to the metal return lines going to the injectors. Open the bleeder on the filter base and put a hose into a old water or pop bottle to catch the fuel. Now run the air at the return line to fill the tank with air so it will push fuel to the system. That should if all is good prime the fuel system and you will see fuel flow out the drain on the filter base.

This explains it best here: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...-air-fuel-system-find-air-fuel-leak-6-2l.html

trooper632

Tried priming using air in the tank, didn't work. Went and bought an electric fuel pump and filter hooked it up and turned it on, finally got fuel to the filter base. truck started up, unhooked electric pump, truck ran fine without it. ran truck for about 30 minutes and turned it off several times, then starting it several times no issues. never had one that hard to get fuel to the filter before. We'll see if it starts after sitting all night now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks