• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 not getting oil to the top end

84cucv1ton

84 m1028 with 22k on it. been sitting 2 years. started it and i heard something start ticking. its on the pass side. took off the valve cover to take a look. new oil and filter. no oil coming up at all.

so i would guess the other side is the same.. any ideas?? not sure where to start on this. thanks

Westech

CPL
plugged oil galley. Really if it was me.. I would start it and floor it just for a second. Try to force it out. you can try adding some STP oil treatment or seafome to help brake up the gunk. also it may take a couple of running to fill the valve lifters and get out out of the push rods.

oops I got r extra e in there.....

Last edited:

ssgtwright-usmc

What is that stuf called in the Red can with black lettering? Its something miricle or mystery oil. I always had the best results with that. Sorry if I cant remember some things/lot of things. Had a vehicle accident at the beginnig of the year and I am learning over again.
More like, I am getting my long time memory back.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I would not rev it to see if it would blow loose. The oil is pumped to the upper end via oil passages drilled through the block to the lifters, up the hollow push rods, and onto the rocker arms.

First, make sure you have fresh oil. Then take the push rods out and see if they are clogged with solidified oil. If they are, then clean them and look for more solidified oil. In the meantime, heat the oil pan if you can so that the oil is warm when you crank. I would then pull the intake manifold off and use a heat gun or propane torch to try to liquefy the solidified oil by heating the lifters and camshaft. Then while it is still warm, crank the engine to see if the oil starts flowing. Once the oil is flowing, it will heat up enough to dissolve the hardened oil. Run it for an hour or so and change the oil. You should have no more problems, them.

4bogginchevys

lol, it's oil galley, and not marvin's oil, Marvel mystery oil, i'm sorry but I got to laughin when reading this post and I couldn't resist! I couldn't say for sure, someone once told me the main ingredient in that oil is peppermint oil, and it smells a bit like it. A good ol' junk yard trick is a quart or so of tranny fluid in the oil, drive it around the block when it's warm and let it run for a hour or so.....drain oil/refill. I've done it to my engines before, it works great! Good luck

ssgtwright-usmc

Again, I am getting my long term memory back shortly but I knew it was mystery oil in the name. Was trying to help the best I can.
I said I cant remember everything and I wish to God I did. I couldnt remember the name but the stuff works.

jwaller

do you show oil pressure on the gauge even though you aren't getting any top the top? how long did you let it run before you shut it off when you were looking at the top end? it can take quite a while to get oil all the way up there esp if it's been sitting.

mistaken1

Again, I am getting my long term memory back shortly but I knew it was mystery oil in the name. Was trying to help the best I can.
I said I cant remember everything and I wish to God I did. I couldnt remember the name but the stuff works.
Considering your accident you did remarkably well at recalling that. Not trying to speak for 4bogginchevys but I think it was more of a good natured smile and slap on the back of encouragement because of how close you were (at least that is how I saw it).

Chief

No Oil

I ran a shop in Germany rebuilding 6.2's (over 600 built) and LDS 465

I ran a shop in Germany 89 thru 93 Rebuilding 6.2's (over 600 built) and LDS 465 (over 400built) All ran on a dyno for over 2 hours. Do not run the motor until you are satisfied that you have oil pressure. It only takes a very short time (minutes) to damage the rod, main and cam bearings. Heat builds up extremley quickly in these high load areas and what oil is there is forced out due to heat and then you have metal to metal. Remove the vaccuum pump and use an adapter (you can get these thru most auto parts stores) or a 6 point 3/8 drive 5/16 socket on a 5 or 6 inch extension driven by a reversible drill. There are two oil gallies that run thru the block that feed oil to the lifters. One passes thru the vaccuum pump drive. When you look into this area you can see the drive gear on the camshaft and the oil pump drive shaft. When you turn the pump you will see oil spraying in this area. If you don't reverse directions on the drill and try again. It will take less tha 10 seconds to prime the system. If you still don't have oil pressure, the suction tube on the pump may have come off. If you use a premium 15w40 motor oil additives should not be necessary. Anyone know what the "w" in 15w40 stands for? Hope this helps.

ssgtwright-usmc

Considering your accident you did remarkably well at recalling that. Not trying to speak for 4bogginchevys but I think it was more of a good natured smile and slap on the back of encouragement because of how close you were (at least that is how I saw it).
Oh, I know that. I get mad at myself for not recalling simple things that I should know. I laughed also because it something so simple to remember and I couldnt remember the name. To tell the truth, I get frustrated more then I get mad for not remembering simple things. The mystery oil works, drain oil and filter, add a full can and sees what happenes. This stuff worked for me.
Oh, add oil too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks