• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Piston Rings: Sealed Power or Perfect Circle (Mahle) ?

Jake59

Hello all,

I have used Perfect Circle piston rings many years ago in the seventies, with my dad, when repairing our 1957 German built tractor with MWM Diesel engine.
I still have that tractor at home to this day and it starts like a charm and runs like a beast... built to last generations!

I also rebuilt my 1988 Chevy 2.8 V6 in the mid nineties and I used a Sealed Power piston ring set I seem to remember.
Also still have my S10 Blazer parked in the back yard and quite sure it will run provided I put a decent battery in it.

I have no preference for either brand, but I surely do not have sufficient experience with either to allow for a well informed decision.
Also, there is a considerable price difference between a Sealed Power at $210 and a Perfect Circle piston ring set at $150 for the 6.2diesel.

Is the Sealed Power piston ring set that much better to justify this big a price difference or is a set made by Perfect Circle, now owned by Mahle a worthy match for Sealed Power rings?

Or perhaps there is another brand of piston rings out there which I am not even aware off that is the better choice for the 6.2 diesel ?

Looking forward to your experience and advice...

Thank you,
Jake

GopherHill

The price difference may be the difference between chrome faced rings vs cast iron rings, I don't know. The chrome faced rings should have a longer life in hard service but are particular about bore preparation and break-in. I have had very good luck using cast iron rings for my engine rebuilds with regular oil changes and a good air filter. I would use the cheaper rings with careful assembly. The job would probably outlast you.
TomC