• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 raw fuel smell - time to get this on the road already

flyingfrog509

Have had my M1009 for a few years, it mostly sits because other stuff keeps coming up. IT IS TIME to get that baby rolling.

I had tagged onto the end of an old thread back in 2010 about replacing the head gaskets because that is what I was told that was the problem. Since then I've also been told that typically raw fuel smell is from the injectors needing to be rebuilt/replaced AND to try that first before pulling off the heads. All of this while trying to find a shop that works on 6.2s in my area...no one works on them around me that I can find. I'm not convinced it is the head gasket yet (not that I know what I'm talking about) because I've not had water in the oil and I found a small leak in my radiator hiding under the neck that explains the water loss I've seen.

With that said, I'm competent...just got done rebuilding a 350 vortec and slapping it in my wife's beloved suburban. Just trying to get advise on how to attack getting the M1009 back on the road and with confidence with out breaking the bank.

I saw the thread saying the bosh injector nozzle(s) #0434250105 can be had for under 10 bucks each, so for 100 bucks that seems like a cheap place to start and something that isn't a bad thing to do regardless.

NOW THE REAL QUESTIONS:
1) Does rebuilding the injectors seem like the most logical place to start?
2) How do you know if the harmonic balancer needs to be replaced? (OR JUST DO IT for 100 bucks and be safe)
3) If I have to pull the heads, is it critical to buy a stud kit or are new bolts good enough? (if stud kit does someone have part numbers)
4) Are there other things that are just given to do before driving it a lot?

My M1009 seems to be totally stock. Still has 2 batteries & 2 alternators so I'm guessing 24/12 volt set up. AND if you all want a laugh once I was out fishing with my son and my knee hit the black out switch...you can imagine my surprise when the lights didn't turn on at sunset to get home! Took me hours to figure that out after we got home. So simple...if you know its there and what it means. :) Thanks for any feed back guys.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you explain what your problem is?

Fuel smell? All the time? At start up? with it not running?

flyingfrog509

Sorry should have explained a bit better. The "raw fuel" smell is only when it is running and it is strongest coming out the drivers side exhaust. The exhaust tips come out on either side at the rear of the truck. I don't have any fuel leaks on the ground or anything like that.

Head gasket for raw fuel smell -> I was told that if the coolant was entering into the combustion chamber that the fuel wouldn't burn and create a raw fuel smell. NOW...take this with a grain of salt because this is my first diesel EVER and the guys at autozone know about nothing 90% of the time...advice I've gotten seeking out a reputable diesel mechanic. (with no luck)

cucvrus

Check in the valley of the engine under the injection pump. Check everywhere. The smell of raw fuel means just that. Raw fuel is leaking onto something hot and making the diesel smell twice as strong.

MarcusOReallyus

Head gasket for raw fuel smell -> I was told that if the coolant was entering into the combustion chamber that the fuel wouldn't burn and create a raw fuel smell. NOW...take this with a grain of salt because this is my first diesel EVER and the guys at autozone know about nothing 90% of the time...
Well, frog, your first mistake was asking them for their opinion.

Your second mistake was paying attention to what they said. :mrgreen:

Just look for leaks. The fuel pump only pumps when it's running, right? So there's pressure on the lines when it's running, so there can be leaks when it's running. And the IP only pumps when it's running, right? So... Well, you see where this is going.

Look for leaks and if you don't find them, look while it's running.

Travis89xj

I agree with the other guys check rubber and metal lines whiles its running first. If the smell is only coming from the exhaust it might be a stuck injector. A stuck injector should cause some smoke in the exhaust.

flyingfrog509

I agree with the other guys check rubber and metal lines whiles its running first. If the smell is only coming from the exhaust it might be a stuck injector. A stuck injector should cause some smoke in the exhaust.
Gave it the once over this morning (actually twice, & three times over) and I don't see any actual raw fuel leaking. It seems to be coming only from the exhaust AND the exhaust does puff quite a bit of white/gray smoke. I should probably down grade "raw fuel" to strong fuel smell because it definitely doesn't smell the same as when the fuel cap is open. (opened it up to see if there might be any rust holes in the filler area)

So with that said...is it better to just go ahead and wait to get 8 injector nozzles since last time I checked RockAuto only has 2 left or just get the two and go through them one at a time hoping to find the stuck one? (not that I'd know what a stuck nozzle looks like) BTW: RockAuto has an "email me when they are in" ability when you put 8 of something in your cart and they only have 2...so that is kind of nice.

Thanks so far everyone. At least I don't feel like I'm completely in the dark going through this now.

cucvrus

Heck I would check all the fluids and take it out for a good run. Get some fresh fuel in it and use it a while. You said it sat a while. Old fuel is not the best smelling stuff when it comes out the exhaust burnt. I had some that sat for years and the exhaust would burn your eyes. But after running fresh fuel thru them it cleared up and ran well. I never replaced a nozzles on any vehicles I owned unless they leaked. Injection pumps yes but not the nozzles. Thats my exerience only and only given as an opinion. Try it or not. I am offering it as help.Thank you.

flyingfrog509

Heck I would check all the fluids and take it out for a good run. Get some fresh fuel in it and use it a while. You said it sat a while. Old fuel is not the best smelling stuff when it comes out the exhaust burnt. I had some that sat for years and the exhaust would burn your eyes. But after running fresh fuel thru them it cleared up and ran well. I never replaced a nozzles on any vehicles I owned unless they leaked. Injection pumps yes but not the nozzles. Thats my exerience only and only given as an opinion. Try it or not. I am offering it as help.Thank you.
It smells strong even with fresh fuel and the bigger issue is the reduced MPG. The two places I do take it hunting or to the woods are 1 hour away & 4 hours away...can't stand the smell that long. Besides during the summer I want to keep the top off and not die of some rare diesel fuel inhalation disease. :)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would check the compression on the side of the engine with the smoke (all of them for that matter).

A couple of things come to mind. A bad injector or a stuck valve that is not allowing the fuel to ignite.

Travis89xj

Gave it the once over this morning (actually twice, & three times over) and I don't see any actual raw fuel leaking. It seems to be coming only from the exhaust AND the exhaust does puff quite a bit of white/gray smoke. I should probably down grade "raw fuel" to strong fuel smell because it definitely doesn't smell the same as when the fuel cap is open. (opened it up to see if there might be any rust holes in the filler area)

So with that said...is it better to just go ahead and wait to get 8 injector nozzles since last time I checked RockAuto only has 2 left or just get the two and go through them one at a time hoping to find the stuck one? (not that I'd know what a stuck nozzle looks like) BTW: RockAuto has an "email me when they are in" ability when you put 8 of something in your cart and they only have 2...so that is kind of nice.

Thanks so far everyone. At least I don't feel like I'm completely in the dark going through this now.

If you have dual exhaust the side that is smoking is the side of the motor to start checking on. you could put a can of seafoam in the tank and run it. You could also change the fuel filter and before you install it fill it with automatic trans fluid, that will help clean the fuel system too.

flyingfrog509

I think warthog is right too. Might not hurt to check compression.
I'm guessing I can find the compression in the manual(s) I saw in PDF over in the tech manuals pages. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow & report back...else it will have to wait until I get back from FL to visit the folks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks