• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 started ticking on me

retro_life

Hey everyone.
I got a 1985 M1008 with 75k on the odometer. I haven't owned it very long but the motor has always sounded healthy until recently.
The other day I took it on a longer drive (~100 miles) and on the way back the motor developed an annoying ticking sound. Kinda sounds like a jackhammer off in the distance, and its frequency increases with RPM. Here is a video of the sound.

What do you guys think? Is the motor going out? It still has power and drives fine, but I've parked it while I think about what to do with it.
Opinions please.

Thanks

Barrman

If the oil is correct, if the oil warning light is functioning if it isn't internal engine related. Check ALL of the power steering pump mount brackets and bolts. Then, check the torque converter bolts. Sometimes they work loose and make a gut scrambling knock noise.

LT67

If the oil is correct, if the oil warning light is functioning if it isn't internal engine related. Check ALL of the power steering pump mount brackets and bolts. Then, check the torque converter bolts. Sometimes they work loose and make a gut scrambling knock noise.
And check the motor mounts. Ask me how I know this lol

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the harmonic balancer.

Keith_J

Timing chain wear manifests as a slap. Since the chain cover is aluminium, you will find aluminium flakes if you analyze old oil filter. Done commonly on aircraft service. Use a pipe cutter to not generate more chips.

cucvrus

I think you have a dry delivery nozzle in the fuel system. I had this happen with a few over the years. I was never one to add any fuel additives but when this happened I just dumped a clean pint of ATF in the full fuel tank and it seemed to disappear for a long time. The GM manual lists it as mechanical knocks./fuel knocks. Incorrect fuel injection static timing and or faulty fuel injection nozzles. Good Luck. I had a loud chatter at about 65 mph one time and it lasted about 3 seconds. I was a long way from home and stopped and shut off the engine. Checked all fluids and all were well. I continued on my way and drove several hundred more miles into the dark of night. I returned home the next morning and parked the truck. A day later I went to start the truck and the wait light stayed on and it would not start. Further diagnosis and I found 1 glow plug had broken off flush and the sound I heard was it being digested thru the engine and out the exhaust valve. No further damage had happened. I also diagnosed another truck with an engine noise as the air cleaner stud to the intake was down in the intake valve. They Code H'ed the truck for the engine noise. I bought the truck at auction and I did have to take a magnet down there to get it out. The mechanic had replaced the missing air cleaner stud. Good Luck.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a Ford Courier with the 2.3 four banger. I had a replacement engine in the garage from my old Mustang II so I really didn't take care of the Courier motor; the sooner it died the sooner I could swap the motor and reclaim some space in the garage.

So I never changed the oil; I didn't need to because it burned off a quart every couple months and I would top it off with a quart of fresh- sort of a running oil change.

I also didn't check the oil level; the sound of the hydraulic lifters tapping for more than 10 seconds or so after start-up was the audible cue that the oil level was low.

Well one morning after starting the engine the lifters were tapping and I waited, but the tapping didn't stop. I poured a quart of oil in but the lifters kept right on tapping. Pulled the dipstick and it showed the oil level was spot on, right were it should be. Why are the lifters still tapping?

It then occurred to me that I was adding oil, for over a year, but had never swapped the filter. So the filter was likely in bypass and could no longer keep up with the demands on the system, manifesting itself as the tapping as the lifters tried to fill. After I swapped out the oil filter all was back to normal.

So long story, but whenever I see the question about checking the oil and the reply is yes, I checked/changed the oil, I wonder if the oil filter was also changed. And yes, I know people that believe an oil filter is good for the life of the vehicle.

Sidebar to the unhelpful response:
That ford 2.3 liter engine is tough. Cast iron block and head can put up with a lot of neglect. In addition to my indifferent oil change practice, I also ignored a coolant leak. Yes, I topped it up from time to time as my memory came and went, but one day it was running rough so I pulled into the gas station to check it since I needed gas anyway (anything above the E was "extra" and the needle on the E meant "enough"). After filling up I tried to start it but it was locked up tight, so hot I could barely open the hood. I hung out there a while and after it cooled a little I refilled the radiator and it started right up. Drove it another few months before I swapped the engine out. Sold the old motor for more than it was worth.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know exactly what it is. Several years ago I had a Chrysler which had that ticking sound and it almost drove me crazy. I searched online and discovered a YouTube video which explained the problem and exactly how to fix it. Turns out, it was that darn Turbo Encabulator. Give me a minute and let me see if I can find that link.................

Here it is, no that ain't it...........................

Here...... no that ain't it either.

Maybe it's over in my Chrysler file............

Yeah! Here it is! -

Chaski

My money would be on injector issues. I had mine sound like that when it broke a nozzle. When it is idling crack loose one injector line at a time and see if the noise goes away.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah Yes the Ticking sound. My son is driving the M1008 now days as a daily driver. He says one day it is making strange ticking noises and can not figure out what the noise is. I asked him if he opened the hood and listened around the motor above, below, on each side etc. He said no.

After 20 seconds of listening it was identified that the lower power steering bolt is loose and rattling around inside the back side of the pulley. Problem identified.

You got to spend the time to troubleshoot and isolate the problem. A screw driver is also a great tool to put on different areas of the engine near your ear to isolate where the sound is coming from.

LT67

Ah Yes the Ticking sound. My son is driving the M1008 now days as a daily driver. He says one day it is making strange ticking noises and can not figure out what the noise is. I asked him if he opened the hood and listened around the motor above, below, on each side etc. He said no.

After 20 seconds of listening it was identified that the lower power steering bolt is loose and rattling around inside the back side of the pulley. Problem identified.

You got to spend the time to troubleshoot and isolate the problem. A screw driver is also a great tool to put on different areas of the engine near your ear to isolate where the sound is coming from.
Yes, a 6.2 diesel will eventually shake any type of fasteners loose. I've learned this the hard way lol

Barrman

If it is the power steering bolt behind the pulley. You will need a thin 15mm open end wrench to tighten it. Snap-On fits but Craftsman and Kobalt don’t in my experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks