• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Starter Bolt Info

grw800

I just replaced a broken starter bolt on a CUCV and thought it would be helpful to post the info here. The bolts are GM P/N 15544950 (this part number supplies one bolt). The size is M10X1.5 X approx. 111mm length. The strength grade is 9.8.
I had the threaded portion of one bolt broken off in the engine block. I used a transfer punch to mark the center, and then used a left-handed drill bit to remove the broken part. Replace both bolts with new ones--it's cheap insurance. And it's imperative to have the support bracket in place on the front of this heavy starter.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting the info. And welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Depending on the GM dealer you may have to buy a box of 5. Why 5 I'll never know. Oriellys' can order them also. 5 at a time.

Last edited:

K9Vic

Thanks, good info.

It is always best to replace starter blots with new ones when ever you replace a starter. The old bolt may look OK, but when you remove them it puts stress back the opposite direction and weakens it's original strength. Possibly causing it to break due to putting stress back again the other way when you try to tighten it back down. Like bending a piece of sheet metal back and forth to beak it away.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not without a lot of time and effort on our(admin and mods) part.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not without a lot of time and effort on our(admin and mods) part.
Eric, ya, I know, it is just a shame, 13 threads on the same subject, know wonder there is server space and search problems, maybe a MANATORY search before a new thread

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you add a new thread and put in a title, the server already offers you simular titles. Helps a little.

grw800

...maybe a MANATORY search before a new thread
How about a MANDATORY spell check before a new post?
Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I did think about the fact that there are already many threads on this subject, and I have looked at them all. The reason I started this new thread is because I didn't find the bolt part number, thread size, and photo all in one thread. In fact, I didn't see any photos at all. I thought this would be helpful to compile all this information in one place.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If all you can find fault with my comments about 13 threads on this subject is my spelling, then my point was made. why not add to a existing thread

and yes SPELL CHECK is me friend, though at times I forget to visit

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GRW800, I did not know(but now I do) why you posted this thread.

I only added the search results because it will tie all the threads together.

I like the fact that you made it simple, visual, and factual. Your thread title is likely to be read from a list of search results. Many key words are in the post (ie, number, thread,grade, etc...) You gave good advice and explained one way to repair broken bolts.

It's a good thread.

Last edited:

91W350

I got lucky today!

When I fired up the M1008 this morning, no warning at all, clunk, funny grind, I figured the starter broke something. Since it was running and the wife and son were sleeping, I drove it to work and shut her down. I called my son and told him to meet me at the truck when he got out of school today and he towed me home with a M1009. The inside bolt had broken. I pulled the starter and raced it down to the generator rebuild shop, then went by the GMC dealer and grabbed a pair of new bolts. I was able to get my old bolt out with a small Torx driver. Now I will be waiting for the phone call tomorrow to put my baby back together. The rear bracket was on and tight. This truck cranks fairly easy as the timing is pretty retarded. It always starts good cold though. I forgot to get the heavy washer, maybe I have one in my bolt pan in the garage from previous projects. The starter felt nice and tight, a little cleaning and new brushes/bushings and solenoid has to be a good thing. [thumbzup] Maybe tomorrow night I will drink a beer with my tacos... :beer::beer: A little celebration.... the boy might drive me home and I can drink two beers! Glen

mr.travo

I just replaced my starter bolts on my 1009 after it snapped one at the shop. Anyway- went to GM and bought two new bolts for $4 and change. I am going to get 6 more and replace the other two trucks. I will second the motion about changing the bolts out with new ones if/when you change the starter.

My question..... I switched to the reduced gear starter. Does anyone have the GM part number for the rear bracket or the rear bracket? I have a couple of extra of the direct drive rear brackets. I know someone had a picture of the two side by side on here, but I can't find it.

I appreciate the help!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was my picture. Do an advanced search for me and starter. I would but I am on my phone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks