• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 that has not been run in a long time. has a knock

84cucv1ton

truck has 20k on it. been a long time since it has ran. dropped in batteries. checked the fluids. started right up. sounded great. im just getting out of the truck and then comes a loud knock. sounds like the driver side up by the rockers.

not sure what has happened. any ideas?? how could it be? with 20k on it.:?:

as always thanks for the help

YellowHammer

My NG unit has a HMMWV that's had a knock that sounds like the piston will come through the block at anytime. We've been listening to that knock for about 5 years now. I've heard others that knock pretty bad and just keep going and going. It could be bad, but not neccassarily.

2deuce

My M1009 hadn't been started in about 4 years. It had some water in the crankcase probably from condensation. Did you change the oil before starting it? After mine started the ldle speed varied alot. It would race and die alot before it settled out. The linkage at the pump was real stiff too, the gas pedal was solid. If your valve train was dry something might have let loose before oil made it up there. I would pull the cover.

trucker 1954

sounds like a dry cyl or liter hung might be a fuel knock put in fresh fuel change oil and fuel filters mine sat for how long some diesel clean in tank might help get things going in the pump as well 1986 m1028a1 contract 18.000 miles

5_TON_TOMATOE

Knocks

I just picked up my 1009 and when it cold, it sound like a few loose marbles rattling around. Gets better when warm, and runs great. Auction said cranks, but won't start. When I went to pick it up, it wouldn't even crank. Noticed a brand new starter relay in a box, plugged it in and drove it home- SWEET ! :-D Wondered about the rattle- NORMAL?

dunedigger

My M1009 has a loud rattle noise too. It's real noticeable but not always there when I start it up and I don't remember hearing it when I bought it and drove it home. I listened to the engine parts with a long screwdriver. On the valve cover it shoudns quiet. But when I put in on any injector, line or the fuel injection pump it has a real loud knock but not the rattle sound. I'd like to get it narrowed down but is hard to tell over the engine noise what exactly it is.

san4rd

Bad Knock

I had the same issue when I got my Federal Excess Property Vehicle for our fire department. A bad.. really bad gonna scare the neighbor kids knock.

I thought the motor was junk, and was looking for a replacement, when a farmer came over and started cracking the fuel lines to the injectors. First one.. still knocking, second still knocking... third.. it quit knocking! I replaced the injector and the problem was solved (a 35 dollar overhaul!)

I later found out it was from water in the fuel, as the tank rusted through.

Once I find out what vehicle it actually is.. I will post a question about fuel tanks and whether or not a replacement civilian tank will work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks