• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 tough to start at higher elevation

Mike_Pop

I've noticed that my M1009 takes longer to start at higher elevations. I have to crank the engine longer and then it fires right up. I'm living at 6500' right now but when I get down to near sea level, the truck starts right up within seconds.

Is there anything that can be done to compensate for the elevation?

Thanks in advance!

acetomatoco

Diesels in high elevations are powerless due to the ambient atmospheric pressure.. Did you ever notice on military gen sets that they are rated at 5000 feet, and not sea level? They work much better at sea level because of the higher compression

Mike_Pop

I've also noticed that my fuel consumption is much greater. I'm only getting about 11-12 mpg as opposed to the 16mpg at sea level.

Mike_Pop

I priced a new turbo and at $1700, it is way out of my price range. I would like to fix the problem without too much expense.

CCATLETT1984

hoot is right, you can get a turbo setup from a 6.5L and it will bolt right up. there are a few modifications that you would have to make, like adding a electric fuel pump, since you won't be able to keep the mechanical one on the side of the block. and you would have to have the downpipe modified to work in your truck. But all in all, its not a hard thing to put in.

Mike_Pop

A turbo is time and money. Neither of which is a luxury right now. I'm trying to find a simple fix. Would rebuilding the IP be a good idea?

Jake0147

Since it works right at lower altitude, and since the mileage is in line, one can only assume that the IP is working as it should, or at least close enough to be servicable. The problem is not fuel, it's air. Fixing the fuel won't fix the air. The engine still has all the oxygen it needs to burn, but the compression is effectively reduced as your altitude increases. The "fix" is not fuel, but air. I understand your desire not to get into turbo retrofitting, and with that in mind I'd have to add another vote to having a diesel shop (unless you have the equipment) set the timing ahead just a bit. This is the closest you'll get to "emulating" more compression in the engine, which, given only the information in the post, I would have to believe is the root cause of your issues. Of course for the hard starts (not so much the cruising issue), do not neglect the basics, good batteries, good starter, good starter wiring and battery/engine/starter connections to deliver adequate cranking RPM, the glow plug system in good order making sure that every one is good condition and working properly, as every little bit helps during startup. By the very nature of a diesel engine, you are going to notice a difference in performance at different altitudes. Unless you're talking about extreme altitudes, it shouldn't be mind blowing, but the difference will always be there.

Mike_Pop

Jake,

Thanks...your post made sense. Of course, my other systems are in top shape and I know it is simply a matter of not enough air. I've had turbo diesel trucks at this altitude and they usually started just fine. This is my first experience with a non turbo. The truck has over 100K on it and fitting a turbo at this point in it's life doesn't make much sense. I've got other vehicles that need attention too. For now, I will have to put up with the longer time it takes to crank over.

Thanks for your input.

madsam

m816

I have the M816 with the cummins and I brought it up to 10,000 feet to my house. When I picked it up in Baton Rouge, it ran down the road great. By the time It got here in Cripple Creek Colorado,, 20mph up the highway road. Oh, and with he cold and altitude, it is a real %$#$#% to start. I found a turbo on an auction which I am planning to put on it. The turbo needs rebuilding, but I think I can get the parts out of a truck salvage once I get the turbo working. I guess I vote for the turbo too. I am also puting a block heater in too. That might help a little.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks