• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Valve Rocker Retainers

motormayhem

Well I broke a valve spring and was a pretty close to dropping a valve from the looks of it. Luckily I shut it down before things went too off the rails. Long story short, when I pulled the rockers to repair the spring I also had a cracked rocker shaft and the old style bushing/cast rockers showed major lubrication/wear issues on the shaft.

From some research it sounds like the stamped rockers work fine and don't have the lubrication issues the older design does, but those plastic rocker retainers are sketchy at best. With that I set about improving the rocker retainers. I made inserts for the shaft that a allows a bolt to thread into the shaft as well as heat treated steel retainers to guide the rocker. I'm quite happy with the setup and have about 5k on them without issue. Fun hot rod project for the truck.

IMG_3979.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
great info , what ( year) is considered older design?
Im looking to find a cheap rebuildable motor , Ive thought about , doing a port and polish on the heads , polish the rods, cross drill the crank - But Im new to the 6.2 .. I'd like to replace any weak parts

motormayhem

great info , what ( year) is considered older design?
Im looking to find a cheap rebuildable motor , Ive thought about , doing a port and polish on the heads , polish the rods, cross drill the crank - But Im new to the 6.2 .. I'd like to replace any weak parts
I believe the cast iron rockers were like 83-84. Maybe 85 too? Mine was an '84. This was what mine looked like coming out of the engine. Had about 70k miles on the engine and all 4 shafts had ~0.030in of wear where the bushing was running. All scored up beyond repair. I can't say I'm too surprised. It took about a minute or more for oil to start coming out the push rods idling with 15W-40 on a 70F day so they run without much lubrication for a while after startup.

IMG_3057.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks