• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 vs 6.5 fuel pump

Crider281

We just replaced the fuel tank in one of our 1028's and we aren't having ANY luck getting this thing primed. Tried pressurizing the tank. We have tried suction on the line leading from the tank (can hear pressure in the tank when we unscrew the cap so we don't think we have a blocked line). We tried to crank the truck with that line unhooked and feel nothing so we are thinking the original pump may be bad.

Now onto my question. I hear the AC DELCO #43254 is the way to go if staying mechanical. We have about 8-9 spare pumps but I just looked at the number and it's a 6472357 which correlates to an AC DELCO # 42160. That points to the 6.5 hummers. Are these pumps interchangeable? :roll:

HillbillyWizard

I have found the newer pumps to have an additional line on them that returns turbo oil to the crankcase. It can be plugged and they can be used on the CUCV 6.2.

Matt5

Banned
I do not see a weep hole on them... maybe someone can point it out to me... with out that weep hole you risk losing your engine if the pump fails... like my 1 year old NEW carcrap one did (leaking fuel... out the weep hole)... I do currently have a *used* humvee pump with that nipple on it... I have yet to decide what I am going to do with it... may rip it out.

I also believe the lines are pointing the wrong way (at least he AM general one) but you can make it work.

cucvrus

I have had 6.2 fuel pump issues in the past. Many places list a lift pump that will fit. But the pumping action of the lever takes place below the stroke of the 6.2 eccentric. The incorrect pump has little or no resistance with in a 1/2" when you activate/depress the pump lever. The pumping action takes place deep in the lever depression. On the correct 6.2 diesel pump the pump action tales place immediately when the pump lever is even slightly depressed. I have pictures of the pumps side by side and the spring when you look inside the lever hole on the correct lift pump is above the lever. I learned the hard way and wanted to save other people the pain and problems associated with this pump. I contacted Delphi and they set the record straight. I do NOT have the correct part numbers at my finger tips but I have listed them in my Mule head gasket change thread and at numerous other times. I hope that helps. If NOT I tried. And the pumps are about the same no matter where they come from. Mine always had weep holes on the side of the casting. I know in my Terminus M1009 build thread I dissected a fuel pump and showed the nasty's inside. I posted this as a helpful tip. Your opinions may vary. But I researched the fuel pumps extensively and discovered the mistake during my research. You may have the wrong pump is basically what I am saying. That easy. Happy Holidays.
www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?144523-Terminus-M1009/page16

Last edited:

Crider281

Thank you ALL for the replies.. We will probably source the correct AC Delco pump and may part with these. We probably got them years ago in a package deal so no biggie. I know how picky these trucks can be so we are trying to eliminate the "well it looks like it might fit" part :).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks