• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 White Smoke

Zukini

Hey guys, just bought a 1009 and when it's cold the 6.2 will blow alot of white smoke when first cranked but after it warms up it goes away. Is this a sign of injector failure? Thanks for any feedback!

firefirefire90

all of my regular cars did this and my current one does as well. It's just condensation that collects in the exhaust. I'd say my CUCV blows white smoke as well, but it blows blue smoke rofl

Josh

My gasser suburban blows white smoke when cold, my gasser landcruiser does too, and the deuce. I think its normal for cold rigs, otherwise i got alot of headgaskets to do.

White smoke = water/antifreeze.

Varyag

Mine does a little white smoke when it first starts in the cold. My buddies 6.2L suburban does the same thing. I think the white smoke is more of a mist of unburnt diesel when the engine is cold. If it goes away fairly quickly I wouldn't think it is much of a problem. I am pretty sure our HMMWVs did it too in Bosnia when it got cold there.

Zukini

Alot of you guys say that your truck does it a "little". I would describe mine as alot. It will blow the smoke around a min or so and then it goes away eventually. I'm fairly new to this engine so I'm starting to read up on it and learn more about it.

WarrenD

Maybe it's elected a new Pope.:shock: Sorry, can't help myself sometimes....
My M37 was really pushing out white smoke the other day. I was concerned until it dawned on me that the outside air temp was colder than it's been since I bought the truck and in the old days, vapor was normal.
Keep an eye on your coolant level just to be sure.

Matt65

Here is a little more information. My M1008 continues to blow white under load when warm. I will be pulling the injectors soon for inspection and testing. Based on what you have said I do not think you have anything to be concerned with (right now) ;).

White Smoke

Most diesels with an engine temperature below about 80 F. will produce some white smoke during the first few seconds after startup. The content of white smoke is finely atomized raw fuel and water vapor. The level of white smoke will taper off as the engine smoothes out and all 8 cylinders begin firing normally. If allowed to idle after a cold start, a very slight amount of white smoke can be detected for several minutes. As soon as the truck is driven, the white smoke should stop and won't re-appear until the next cold start.

A problem exists if your engine continues to produce white smoke with the engine at operating temperature. Usually, white smoke production indicates incomplete combustion due to cooler than normal combustion temperatures. This usually manifests itself in other ways that include rough running and possibly low power.

Low engine temperature

As mentioned above, during startup, a normal healthy engine will produce some white smoke because of the cold environment in the combustion chamber. Engine temperature plays a role in white smoke production and you should ensure the thermostat is operating correctly. Diesel efficiency relies partly on a correct engine operating temperature, so always ensure the engine comes up to normal temperature soon after starting.

txmytx_catahoula

After I put a replacement 6.2 in my M1009, it blew white smoke at start up. My problem was that the injector pump was out of time(retarded). After placing the IP back on the timing mark it all disappeared. Some do like the timing "a match book cover" to the driver's side of the line.

Good luck!

acesneights1

You need to determine what the smoke is. Does it smell like raw fuel ? Does it smell sweet ? It could be coolant, it could be worn injs, it could be bad glows, it could be the cold advance not working. Does it high idle when cold ?
A little is ok when cold but alot means something needs attention unless it's really cold where you are. What is the ambient temp ?

Last edited:

Barrman

White fuel smelling smoke on start up is normally associated with glow plugs not heating enough, not being on long enough or just not all working. Have you check out your plugs and isolated the smoke to a single side?

We were at 38° Tuesday morning. I fired up the M1009 and not a bit of smoke. Walked over to the Blue Bomber, fired it up and had a good bit of white smoke. New IP and glow plugs on the M1009. Just new glow plugs on the 6.2 Suburban. M1009 pump advanced to the drivers side of the line and the bomber pump right on the line.

Basically, if it starts fast, doesn't use coolant, isn't using oil and fuel consumption is ok. Don't worry about it because most diesels throw white smoke until they are warm. Do a youtube search for cold starting train engines.

Zukini

I have been reading several topics on here associated with white smoke and hard starting. It appears I may have an issue with my fuel pressure switch. I'm going to start by replacing it and see what happens. Last night I killed a new battery trying to start the truck in 55 degree weather.

Matt65

Last night I killed a new battery trying to start the truck in 55 degree weather.
Be careful killing the battery cranking, you may kill the starter. Remember to do the Doghead relay mod, this is a very common point of failure for the CUCVs.

JSF01

It may also be air getting into the fuel line. I had that problem on mine due to a small leak in one of the rubber fuel lines after it sat for a few hours of sitting it became very difficult to start but would start just fine when it sat only for an hour. Some people end up with a worst leak and as soon as the engine is shut down it becomes very difficult to start if not impossible. And at the risk stating the obvious you have already eliminated the glow plug problems (bad glow plugs or glow plugs not cycling)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks