• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 with turbo build in progress

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a reason I asked what numbers were you looking for.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO ADD THE TURBO.

It's a very expensive option that adds some where around 65/75 ponies and about 150 ft/lb torques...

Skip the turbo.

Upgrade the injector tips.

Use the 6.2L MARINE TIPS. The cost is like $62 on ebay.

I believe Westech posted this several weeks ago.

Replace the low pressure fuel return lines (another $25). Then adjust the timing.

You COULD see as much as 100 hp over and above where you are now. Plus the bump in torque as well.

All for $100.

THAT'S why I asked what numbers you were shooting for.

bubba_got_you

It's a very expensive option that adds some where around 65/75 ponies and about 150 ft/lb torques...

Skip the turbo.

Replace the low pressure fuel return lines (another $25). Then adjust the timing.

You COULD see as much as 100 hp over and above where you are now. Plus the bump in torque as well.

All for $100.

Ah I got you now (it would have helped if you gave me a little bit better clue on what you where asking). The reason I wasn’t doing that is
1. I like turbo’s lol
2. I did some reading on that and most of the things I read said it was a waste of time
3. I like to custom build things so all I will be buying is a turbo and an exhaust manifold and making the intake top myself and using the 6.2 intake.
4. Single 3” exhaust pipe is cheaper than two 2” exhaust pipes so the price difference will balance out.
Now im not saying your wrong, it vary well may work and boost power but I just don’t know.

bubba_got_you

actually here are some mock up photoes i have

Attachments

bubba_got_you

I would like to see pics of the girdle you make and how you installed it. I'm interested in this because I will be working on a 6.2 this winter also. Motor looks good and clean and should work well for you. Is this a 6.2 or a 6.5? I wasn't sure by your first post and if it is a 6.2 what turbo will you be using?
It’s a 6.2 (stronger block) and I will be using a stock 6.5 turbo that I will pull off a truck at the junkyard and rebuild it.

Chief_919

Skip the turbo.

All for $100.

I know the eBay sellers make all sorts of claims of wild HP gains with their injectors, but there is no way that changing just injectors or injector tips will net you anywhere close to 100HP on the 6.2.

Not gonna happen with injector tips. Not gonna happen with just injectors. May get closer with quality new injectors (not chinese parts from ebay) and an injection pump tuned up for more fuel flow, but 100hp from just that is still very far fetched.

It just aint gonna happen. A 40% increase in HP is not happening without increasing the airflow with a turbo and upgradeing your fuel delivery componets.

In addition, most of those folks on eBay are peddling Chinese parts. Buyer beware.

dstang97

I know the eBay sellers make all sorts of claims of wild HP gains with their injectors, but there is no way that changing just injectors or injector tips will net you anywhere close to 100HP on the 6.2.

Not gonna happen with injector tips. Not gonna happen with just injectors. May get closer with quality new injectors (not chinese parts from ebay) and an injection pump tuned up for more fuel flow, but 100hp from just that is still very far fetched.

It just aint gonna happen. A 40% increase in HP is not happening without increasing the airflow with a turbo and upgradeing your fuel delivery componets.

In addition, most of those folks on eBay are peddling Chinese parts. Buyer beware.
Yep I'm with this guy.

I would buy some new 6.5 injectors (bosch) and put on the 6.5 turbo. It will be almost the same set up I'm running.

rango

yeah id like to see some before and after dyno graphs for this 100hp injector upgrade

unless you get more air to go with more fuel you will start to gain to a point then any additional fuel left unburnt or poorly burnt will start to take away from the overall performance and result in lower hp

best bet would prolly be marine injectors and turbo

rango

bubba i wasn't trying to step on your toes, but what we are discussing could provide you some benefits, while yes adding the turbo will increase power and torque, adding newer (prolly better) injectors will also help on top of the turbo, as they may allow more fuel flow without stepping up the IP, **** i have a nitrous system for sale you could use to spool that turbo up faster lol:)2cents

bubba_got_you

[FONT=&quot]I was just joking (trying to keep it light) I am happy to get suggestions. I plan to replace the injectors I wasn’t going to go with marine injectors but I will give it some thought. [/FONT]

Chief_919

bubba i wasn't trying to step on your toes, but what we are discussing could provide you some benefits, while yes adding the turbo will increase power and torque, adding newer (prolly better) injectors will also help on top of the turbo, as they may allow more fuel flow without stepping up the IP, **** i have a nitrous system for sale you could use to spool that turbo up faster lol:)2cents
Changing injectors on a 6.2 or 6.5 won't change your fuel flow rate.

The fuel is metered by the injection pump. How much gets injected is dependant on how much the IP sends out.

Changing the injector won't change that.

Now a different injector may have a higher or lower pop pressure, or a nozzle that has a different spray pattern, and that can affect combustion and power to some degree.

But it can't flow more fuel unless the IP is tuned to send it more.

12vctd

Extremely nice build love the pics, and glad to see your doing it right. Do you plan on head studs? while you have the motor out.

I belive a good OEM rebuilt injector and turbo witha good fresh INj pump is the cure all, is it gonna be a drag motor no. But it has plenty of power gets great mileage and like bubbe said is cheap to work on. The girdle, head studs a good harmonic balancer and timing set and these engines will last a very long life with great service. Can't wait to see the next set of pictures.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lot of yakkin from guys that have NOT done this conversion.

Sorry chief...

I WILL be doing this conversion and WILL post the results. Including dyno runs before and after.

AGAIN, according to Westech, whom I have discussed this with AT LENGTH, I may be understating the numbers.

But again, dyno runs, injector tip change plus some bump in the IP timing and then we will ALL see.

I always like folks who turn negative BEFORE ever actually seeing the results.

You are ALL aware that the 6.2L was also used in marine applications, right? And the numbers these folks got were much higher (no epa BS on marine application at that time).

And if you are going to rebuild this motor, can anyone please tell me why no one uses all the old school hot rod tricks? They are all time tested and work.

Again, air in - air out. That's what you are trying for. NOTE: a 3" single pipe does NOT give the same 'air out' as dual (no cross connections) 2". Now if you want to use a 4" single... well you are definitely in the ballpark. It's simple math.

Flow the heads. Balance and blueprint it. ALL are things you can do yourself. It's fairly easy.

Again. You gotta build what you gotta build.

But I will be posting my results the first of next year (very busy the holiday season for some reason - normally I would have time to do it now). Then we will have this discussion again.

I'll gladly eat crow. IF I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Can the rest of you say that?

But the numbers won't lie. And I WILL have the slips. And I WILL POST THEM. Either way. I will be doing this at 101coolcars shop so you will also have separate confirmation or denial from an impartial source. He's offered to do the dyno runs, change the tips and then do the dyno runs again. I pay for the shop time and then we all see. If it works, I'm pretty sure I've got my chance at an article "Diesel Power" magazine will look at. Picture sell words, words sell pictures. Not my first published article.

Think of it this way. What have I GOT TO LOSE for a $100 worth of parts and two or three hours shop time? Nothing.

Oh, and lets not forget, I'm at 5280 altitude here in Denver, so that works against me anyway. But I love a challenge. And some of you don't know me, but I do what I say and I say what I do. It's pretty simple. And lots of folks over the years have been stepped on by my size 11's and have complained.

I've been stepped on myself by others. The difference is I don't complain. I suck it up, learn from it and do better next time.

If you listen, it's called an education. If you don't listen, it's called experience. I'm more into education these days than reinventing the 'education' wheel...

Last edited:

12vctd

I have built many 6.2's with marine injectors as well as EDM injectors. Just show me some before and after dyno numbers and I will gladly agree with you. I am by far no expert but I have been deep into many diesel's and repairing them is my trade. But answer me this with all of this new fuel your putting into this motor how are you increasing the air. And the single 3 inch exhaust is well being used for the turbo which is providing the air in. As well as the part numbers from your marine injectors. Theres alot of hot rod mods for the 6.2 inj pump guys have been modding the pumps for years but they all proved to be unreliable mod such as changing leaf springs in the pump and such. Will a injector increase power yes, will the marine injector increase power yes. Will it increase power over a turbo upgrade NO. And with the new fuel of the injector your gaining some high EGT's unless your adding air. Also many people confuse a IDI engine with a DI diesel engine, Your injectors dont control the amount of fuel into the engine, thats what your injection pump does. I do belive Westech is running a 6.5 inj pump as well. Again I know that injectors as well as inj pump mods will increase power just not the gains you seem to be putting out there.

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dude, no offense.

I've been building and modding GAS engines for years since I was sixteen (I'm 57). I'm working with one of my buddy's who IS a master diesel mechanic as his job. I'm going with 101coolcars shop because HE builds and rebuilds old school Mustangs mainly. Though he has recently gotten into green iron.

Not going to mod the IP. I'm talking SIMPLE TRICKS. FLOWING THE HEADS. Balance ALL the internal parts yourself. NEVER easy. Very time consuming and in most instances won't produce huge increases. But it's all the little things that make a strong motor last. The girdle is a great addition. So would roller rockers for the heads.

PM me and I'll flash you the info you request. I'm not about to break the rules of the forum by posting current EBAY auction info.

And again, can't anyone use the ADVANCED SEARCH FUNCTION and find the thread this was discussed a few weeks ago? I've got to repeat it again? And again? AND AGAIN? Nope.

PM ME.

Oh, AIR IN? I've SHOWED my old hot rod trick. You flip the top of the air cleaner over and it allowed you to get a LOT more air in - a trick you CAN NOT DO with the stock 6.2L air filter box. I have gone one step further. K&N air filter with a home made top, reinforced and riveted. Works great. Flows about THREE TIMES more are than the stock setup.

And please, NO 'it won't work properly that way'. I've been running it for FOUR YEARS in my first M1009 with excellent results.

View attachment 211652

And with the recent addition of a pair of free flow mufflers, I'm looking forward to doing this tip change. I will post the results. I'm not sure which is louder, the intake or the exhaust.

I guess I'm just a cheap SOB. If I can make the numbers I'm expecting, I guess I will have achieved what I am attempt to do on the cheap. We will see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks