• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L Detroit Diesel Head Gasket Replacement Help

Qaf

Sup fellas,

I bought a 1984 Chevy M1009 that has the 6.2 diesel. The "War Wagon" had 48k miles on it & drove perfectly. I put about 5-6K miles on it for work in a couple of months, no problems whatsoever. Everything mechanically sound.

Until one day, the bottom radiator hose blew off and the Wagon overheated. I found out the radiator had some leaks and got it sealed. I believe the low fluid caused the hose to blow off.

The Wagon still runs, but I don't drive it at all because there is way too much pressure in the coolant system and I suspect a blown head gasket. Reason being, I blow white smoke only from the left side (not a whole cloud or anything but enough to notice) and there are bubbles in the radiator&resevoir.

I replaced the oil recently and there is NO milky substance so that's good from what I've read.

I am asking my steel soldier guys for some links/videos to replace it myself, what type of gaskets to buy, helpful tips, etc. I have a week off from work and would love to bring it back to work (I work in the oil&natural gas pipeline industry and 4x4 indestructible vehicles are required:-D)

Any help is appreciated!

Drock

Welcome to the hobby. There's several threads on this subject you can search. Basically Felpro 6.2 gaskets, You'll need to at least visually inspect the heads for cracks or just have them rebuilt. New head bolts or studs, torqued 30LBS twice, 60LBS twice, 90LBS three times. Rocker shafts 40LBS ( KEEP THE PUSHRODS IN ORDER!!) they have a top and a bottom (DON"T MIX IT UP!!). Right stuff sealer for valve covers, mark all the injection lines, Kroil, then anti-seize the exhaust manifold bolts. New intake gasket goes on dry.

Reactions: Qaf

cucvrus

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ad-gasket-head-or-change-engine-survey/page18
Here you go check this out. I can side with you on the head gasket. I think if you still have the stock head gaskets at this point in time you are pushing it. It has been my experience to remove all heads on CUCV's and have the heads rebuilt and new gaskets put in. I have a had many that ran fine but during a total truck refurbishment I pull the heads and reseal the entire engine. I have had great success and sold trucks to others that are happy with the results. Do have the heads checked out. Cracked heads are common. Be prepared. Good Luck. I hope that helps. I keep sending used heads and have a new set in wooden crates. They are just book ends in my shop. To me it is just cool to have 2 new 6.2 heads in crates.

cucvrus

Remanufactured heads are available for a nominal fee. They even take the cracked head as a core. I am sure someone in Texas has a set of good used heads they will sell. I have some but shipping would be a killer and I would NOT trust to sell them unless I had them redone at a machine shop. I currently have a set out getting machined. Good Luck.

Qaf

Do you know anything about these improved casting heads? I’ll post the link.

(eBay link removed)

This is what they claim in their ad:

The metallurgy has been improved to eliminate the cracking issues that plagued these heads from the factory; No more cracks! The iron used in the new heads utilizes molybdenum, a metal yielding a 20-25% increase in strength, without being brittle. Additionally, changes of the water jacket design in the heads have helped address the 6.5's overheating problems. The original 6.5 & 6.2 cylinder heads produced by GM were prone to developing small cracks between the valves. The new redesigned heads have added chromium to the cast-iron to virtually eliminate these and other cracking issues.
Is this a bunch of bolgna or a route I could take?

Last edited by a moderator:

Drock

Do you know anything about these improved casting heads? I’ll post the link.

(eBay link removed)

Is this a bunch of bolgna or a route I could take?
..........yes I installed a set of after market heads on mine. They worked fine, but all the bolt holes on the intake needed to be elongated, and the injection lines will need to be persuaded to fit the new injector angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks